I am planning on performing a health check on multiple Cisco SAN switches. This check will be performed five or more times a day. I know that the "show" commands are usually safe commands, but I have seen instances where "show tech-support" has caused the supervisor to restart. This type of outage is not acceptable.
1) Does anyone know of an instance where "show interface brief" has caused any kind of problem?
2) I currently use Device Manager to perform health checks. Does Device Manager use a "show interface" command to display port states?
3) What kind of CPU usage does "show interface brief" have on a SAN switch?
4) Does anyone have a low-level explanation of what happens when a "show interface brief" command is executed?
5) Is it safe to run "show interface brief" many times a day and every day of the year?