cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AD synchronization for CUCM and CRS versions 8 (or other?)

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I have some questions about my options in AD synchronization for CUCM/CRS, specifically for versions 8 but I don't think it actually matters (could apply to version as far back as 6.)

In our production telephony environment we are not currently using AD synchronization (we are using it in our Proof of Concept, however.)  We are preparing to migrated to a new infrustructure that will leverage AD.  However, on the AD side accounts are not organized optimally, so service accounts are visible in the phone directory (obviously a problem).  I've been making the point that this needs to be fixed so that CUCM is synchronizing with specific containers with accounts that should show up on the telephony side but am concerned that this reorganization may not occur in time.  It may be decided later on, well after the install, that a reorganization should occur to fix the issue.  So, I'd like to have a better understanding of the implications.  I've been working on this issue in our POC and would like to verify with you all if my understanding of the consequences is correct.

1) If AD reorganization is done AFTER the new system installation and its corresponding AD integration and I am given a new set of OUs to synchonize with, when I delete the previous synchronization settings (in this case, unfortunately, to the root OU) this will remove all of the present root-OU-synchronized accounts from CUCM, which by extension will break their associations with the phones and also remove the CRS agents/supervisors.  I will still be able to log into CUCM as an administrator with the appropriate application account, but now I will have to reassign the administrative priviledges to the newly synchronized OU accounts.

2) CRS requires user accounts in CUCM to be created in order to assign administrator, supervisors, and agents (does not see accounts created as application users).  If an AD synchronization is broken and reestablished, how would you log into CRS to reassign agents?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

As long as the user ID was the same in CUCM and AD, they won't be washed out by "re-org".

In the case of mismatch, you'll still have 72 hours grace period to make it correct.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In CCM 8, you can now specify AD filters to use in synchronising users. Since you are worried about service accounts I will use the telephonenumber filter as shown below:

To select users with a phone number
(&(objectclass=user)(!(objectclass=Computer))
(!(UserAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))
(telephonenumber=*))

This will only return users with telephone numbers.

Also as Michael mentioned, as long as the user id is the same you wont looose your associations, I did this recently and I was pleased to see that this was the case..dont forget you have 72 hours of grace to re-synchronise the users.

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

As long as the user ID was the same in CUCM and AD, they won't be washed out by "re-org".

In the case of mismatch, you'll still have 72 hours grace period to make it correct.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In CCM 8, you can now specify AD filters to use in synchronising users. Since you are worried about service accounts I will use the telephonenumber filter as shown below:

To select users with a phone number
(&(objectclass=user)(!(objectclass=Computer))
(!(UserAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))
(telephonenumber=*))

This will only return users with telephone numbers.

Also as Michael mentioned, as long as the user id is the same you wont looose your associations, I did this recently and I was pleased to see that this was the case..dont forget you have 72 hours of grace to re-synchronise the users.

Please rate all useful posts

That's GREAT news.  Definitely what I was looking for.  Thanks, guys,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: