cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To Best Import CUCMBE CUC Users Into CUC

mwheinz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!  Used COBRAS to backup and restore CUCMBE CUC users and Call Handlers to stand-alone CUC version 7.  That went well.  Installed stand-alone CUCM version 7 and used BAT to import the old CUCMBE phones/users.  That went well.  The issue is that when I go to a CUCM user who has voicemail, the "Edit Unity User" link is not present but the "Create Unity User" link is.  How do I tie the 2 applications together so that CUCM is aware that the CUC voicemail accounts have already been created?  I'm thinking that I may have to go into CUC and delete the users and then re-build using CUCM End-User page for CUCM to be "aware" of Unity user.

I really wanted to use the COBRAS tool to import Spoken Name, Greetings, and Messages.  If I create the CUC users via CUCM, can I then use COBRAS to restore Spoken Names, Greetings, and Messages?

Thanks for any input!

4 Replies 4

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

COBRAS restore isn't going to work with CUCMBE deployments, only standalone UC.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Connecting_to_Remote

Important Preparation for Connection 7.0 and Later Imports and Exports
NOTE: Restores to Connection 7.x and later are supported only for stand alone installations – you cannot import backups into co-resident (Business Edition) installations.

There is a table that is shared between the UC and CUCM platform side that creates the mapping between both applications.  The linking between the two sides can only be accomplished by creating the End User on the CUCM side, and then importing them into UC as you've mentioned.  To answer your question, it MAY appear to work, but isn't supported, nor is it designed to accomplish this per the Help file.

Hope that helps,
Brad

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

COBRAS restore isn't going to work with CUCMBE deployments, only

standalone UC.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.h

tm#_Connecting_to_Remote

Important Preparation for Connection 7.0 and Later Imports and Exports

NOTE: Restores to Connection 7.x and later are supported only for stand

alone installations - you cannot import backups into co-resident

(Business Edition) installations.

There is a table that is shared between the UC and CUCM platform side

that creates the mapping between both applications. The linking between

the two sides can only be accomplished by creating the End User on the

CUCM side, and then importing them into UC as you've mentioned. To

answer your question, it MAY appear to work, but isn't supported, nor is

it designed to accomplish this per the Help file.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thanks Brad for explaining the linkage between CUCM End User

page and CUC.  I apologize for not being clearer, but the COBRAS restore will be on stand-alo

ne CUC.  The customer is going from BE to CUCM with CUC, on separate servers.

So, I'm thinking just delete the users I imported from the BE (on the new CUC), re-create them using the End User link in CUCM, and then?  Can I restore their spoken names and messages using COBRAS at that point?

COBRAS is supported for export of CUC data from CUCMBE, and again, I'm restoring to a CUC version 7 server.

Thanks!

If you are trying to import from BE to a standalone version of CUC, this should work.  My assumption is you are already running version 7x.  However, you need to be aware of the following:

The LDAP integration feature (for instance to  Active Directory) with Connection 7.0 and later requires that you import users  into Connection from the LDAP connection you create FIRST before creating  local users.  This is not specific to COBRAS – if you create local users via the SA or BAT or any other process or tool  you cannot then make them LDAP integrated later.  You must import them via the LDAP link you establish and then  edit them.

With this in mind, if you are importing user data  into Connection 7 or later from a backup (of either Connection or Unity) and  you want your users LDAP integrated, import them into Connection via the  LDAP link first and then update the user data with a COBRAS Import selecting to  overwrite those users on import.  COBRAS will only update information for those users and will not harm or change the  integration data used by the LDAP synchronization sub system.

COBRAS, of course, uses the name, alias and  extension of the user to match up with a corresponding user in the backup.  If your LDAP integrated users you imported into Connection do not have matching names, aliases and/or extensions  you will need to tell COBRAS which users in the backup should overwrite which  users in your Connection directory.  You can use the Alias and Extension renaming feature in the COBRAS  Data Viewer application to change those properties in the backup  via CSV file if you need to which can make this process easier.

Basically, this is similar to how Unity to Unity migrations work.  You must create the users in advance (via import) on the new system.  The aliases must be the same as each user in your backup.  If not, you will use the COBRAS Data Viewer tool to edit the Alias and any extension mappings in the backup file.  Make sure you make a COPY of the original backup file and edit this database as you go...don't work on the original file.  The COBRAS process is fairly straight forward. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: