Mesh Basics - How many RAPs?

Unanswered Question
Apr 12th, 2010

I was reading the following information:

" Roof-top Access Point (RAP)

RAPs have a wired connection to a Cisco wireless LAN controller. They use the backhaul wireless interface to communicate with neighboring PAPs. RAPs are the parent node to any bridging or mesh network and connect a bridge or mesh network to the wired network; therefore, there can only be one RAP for any bridged or mesh network segment"

From this link:

So if I had 1 Physical Building w/ 3 Mesh APs and 2 were had physically connection to the WLC and 1 was on pole, this means I could only set 1 of the physically connected Mesh APs to be a RAP and the rest are MAPs?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
weterry Mon, 04/12/2010 - 15:50

No, you can still have 2 APs configured as RAP's if that is what they are (physically connected).

Your MAP (Pole mounted AP?) will choose which RAP is best for its connection into the wired network.

gabrielsagredo Tue, 04/13/2010 - 11:24

Thats what I figured.

Just felt the wording and images ive found documenting MESH scenarios was a  little confusing (maybe worded poorly)

Raju_Talele_2 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 00:16

Same question related to Mesh Network .

I have to create Mesh network in Campus . I have plan to use WLC (5508) which is Connected Mesh AP 1524 in One building and in another buidling I have to use Mesh AP 1524 with 1140 AP as a indoor APs.

I that case as 1524 is connected to WLC , so  it become RAP. But can U tell me that How 1524 and 1140 APs are connected in another buildings. I our campus there are 6 building with distance is less than 600 mtrs.

Thanks and regards

This Discussion