EIGRP bandwidth question....

Answered Question
Apr 12th, 2010
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

This is a question that never got answered on the cisco learning network fourm that I am curious about....I never could find the answer.

If you change the default EIGRP bandwidth from 50% to something else with the ip bandwidth-percent EIGRP AS %% command, where can you look to see this change reflected?

Thank you,

Jimmy

Correct Answer by hstoddart about 7 years 1 month ago
Correct Answer by Tharak Abraham about 7 years 1 month ago

Jimmy,

You can indirectly check this by having a close analysis on how EIGRP paces its packet.

The "sh ip eigrp interface" should give you a column indicating the pacing time in millisecs.

Each time a data packet is queued,  EIGRP determines how long to wait before sending the packet based on the formula

(8 * 100 * packet size in bytes) / (bandwidth in kbps * bandwidth           percentage)

This does have an effect on the protocols behaviour on the links !

Hope that helped !

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 1 month ago

Jimmy

Do you mean other than doing a "sh run" because if you modify the eigrp bandwidth on an interface it will be reflected in the running config.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Tue, 04/13/2010 - 01:26
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Jimmy

Do you mean other than doing a "sh run" because if you modify the eigrp bandwidth on an interface it will be reflected in the running config.

Jon

Correct Answer
Tharak Abraham Tue, 04/13/2010 - 05:05
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Jimmy,

You can indirectly check this by having a close analysis on how EIGRP paces its packet.

The "sh ip eigrp interface" should give you a column indicating the pacing time in millisecs.

Each time a data packet is queued,  EIGRP determines how long to wait before sending the packet based on the formula

(8 * 100 * packet size in bytes) / (bandwidth in kbps * bandwidth           percentage)

This does have an effect on the protocols behaviour on the links !

Hope that helped !

jimmysands73_2 Tue, 04/13/2010 - 17:22
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Thank to all that replied.  I was really just interested in this question because it never got answered on the Cisco Learning Network fourm.

I think the correct answer is the only place we will see this change is the startup/running config.

Actions

This Discussion