cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting an engaged tone when users check the voicemail

bawanrajcisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have two unity connection Servers (version 7.1.2) in our cluster. We are getting an engaged tone when users check the voicemail . This is only happening intermittently.

When I check the Log I found following messages

Severity: Warning

App ID: CuCsMgr

Message: : 26464: Apr 04 07:00:50 AM.404 UTC : %CUC_CSMGR-UCEVNT-4-EvtMiuBusyHere: Miu SIP Integration, All lines are busy on redirector 10.X.X.X:5060. An incoming call will not be answered. Cluster ID: Node

Message: : 110460: Apr 13 07:00:29.308 UTC : %CCM_RTMT-RTMT-2-RTMT-ERROR-ALERT: RTMT Alert Name:CriticalServiceDown Detail: Service status is DOWN. Connection Digital Networking Replication Agent. The alert is generated on Tue Apr 13 17:00:29 EST 2010 on node UVM-01. Cluster ID: Node ID: UVM-01

Is this logs are inter related?

How we can add more port to unity connection?

How I can check locked port?

Thank you

Bawanraj

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The first message indicates that all or your ports are busy and no ports are available to take calls.  The second message indicates that the Digital Networking service is down.  If you are networking systems and using Cross-Cluster login then you may see these messages closely aligned in logs but they are not directly related.

In CUCM 7.0 and even 7.1, there is a known bug where SIP ports get locked up due to an issue with CUC.  This should be fixed in the latest version which is 7.1(3b)SU2.  You should read the release notes for this version, verify the defect is resolved (I dont have the bug ID off-hand) and then upgrade to the latest version (highly recommended here in this instance).  If you are hitting this issue (which wouldn't be surprising), you may find you don't need more ports.  One way to check the status of your ports is to use RTMT and then use the Port Monitor to view the ports on each server.  You could also assign the proper CSS for a test phone to access the VM ports and dial them directly to see if you get integration or fast busy tone.

If you actually do need to add more ports, you'll need to acquire licensing for them (if you're not already licensed).  Then add them to the CUCM integration and the CUC configurations as you did the original ports.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

When you look at licensing, you are only viewing one server at a time.  So the =10 port count is for the server selected.  Select your other server and you'll see the same.  The ports are counted per server.

The bug is a CUC bug and it sounds like you're likely hitting it.  I believe it is fixed is 7.1(3b)SU2; however, my personal recommendation would be to switch up your integration to SCCP.  SIP works and is supported; however, I find it to be more "buggy" and occassionally has limitations that don't apply to SCCP.  SCCP is tried and true and rarely has issues such as this.

Hailey

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The first message indicates that all or your ports are busy and no ports are available to take calls.  The second message indicates that the Digital Networking service is down.  If you are networking systems and using Cross-Cluster login then you may see these messages closely aligned in logs but they are not directly related.

In CUCM 7.0 and even 7.1, there is a known bug where SIP ports get locked up due to an issue with CUC.  This should be fixed in the latest version which is 7.1(3b)SU2.  You should read the release notes for this version, verify the defect is resolved (I dont have the bug ID off-hand) and then upgrade to the latest version (highly recommended here in this instance).  If you are hitting this issue (which wouldn't be surprising), you may find you don't need more ports.  One way to check the status of your ports is to use RTMT and then use the Port Monitor to view the ports on each server.  You could also assign the proper CSS for a test phone to access the VM ports and dial them directly to see if you get integration or fast busy tone.

If you actually do need to add more ports, you'll need to acquire licensing for them (if you're not already licensed).  Then add them to the CUCM integration and the CUC configurations as you did the original ports.

Hailey

Hi Hailey

Thank for your information about this bug in CUCM 7.0 and 7.1. Your informations are very useful.

When I monitor the port locked it is always shows 4 in our primary server and 8 in our secondary server. Totally we have ten ports and I feel we are getting engage when port in use current reach 6 in primary server.

1)Is the port locked it always shows 4 in our primary server because of bug? How we can reduce this block port numbers? Relay what is mean by block port ?

2) One port is in use mean one user is accessing a voice mail?

3)What is the temp solution for this voicemail busy issue until upgrading CUC?

4) To get clear Idea about how this port function what is good book or document? Or please explain

Thanks

Bawenraj

OK - specifically, the bug I was referring to is related to SIP integrations.  The bug is one in which the SIP

protocol for integration works incorrectly and the ports get "stuck" - essentially, CUC ports stay in a connected state even after they have disconnected from a call to CUCM.  If you are using SIP, this could be your issue.  If not, and you are using SCCP then it would not be related to your situation.

As for your ports - it sounds as if you may have misconfigured the ports for the cluster.  CUC is designed to provide 100% failover between each server so if you have 10 ports then you should have then split equally between servers.  In other words, 5 on each server.  10 is actually an odd port count.  I suspect you would be licensed for 16 ports - in which case, you are not using all of your ports.  But, I don't know the specifics of your installation.  So, for ports - we'll say you have 10 ports.  You would want to take about 25% of those ports and reserve them for message notification, MWI, and TRAP (if your users access Cisco PCA and change their greetings via the Media Master web interface - if they don't, it doesn't hurt to leave this open).  So, in your case 25% of 10 is 2.5 so I'd say you would set up 2 ports for MWI.  In CUC, what you would do is configure a Phone System then a Port Group and then configure the ports in this manner.  Add the Subscriber ports first like so:  Add 4 ports that are set to "Answer Calls" only (all other functions unchecked).  Then add 1 port that has "Message Notification", "MWI", and "TRAP" enabled but "Answer Calls" is unchecked.  This port will be reserved for primarily MWI usage.  Then add the Publisher ports in the same manner.  4 ports to answer calls.  1 port for MWI.  In total, you'd have 8 voicemail ports that answer calls and 2 that perform MWI function.  On the CUCM side, you would configure the Subscriber ports first using the VM Port Wizard and then do the same for the Publisher ports.  Then you want 2 Line Groups - ex: CUC-Sub_LG and this would only contain the 1st 4 ports which are configured in CUC to answer calls.  Do the same for the Publisher - ex: CUC-Pub_LG and it would contain only the 1st 4 ports that are configured to answer calls.  In the associated Hunt List, the Sub LG should be priority and the Pub LG in secondary position.

In the model described above, one port = 1 port that can answer calls OR 1 port that does not answer calls but can dial out to CUCM for MWI (at the most basic level).

Temp solution depends for you.  If you are using SIP, you have to upgrade to fix the issue.  If you are using SCCP, I would suggest you configure your ports as described above as improper port allocation/configuration on CUC can cause VM to malfunction.

What is a good document to read?  Read the CUCM 7x SRND, Cisco Unity Connection Design Guide, Cisco Unity Administration Guide, Cisco Unity Installation Guide, and the supplement on Supported VM Integrations for CUC and CUCM - it will describe how to configure both SCCP or SIP integrations as described above.

Hailey

Hi Hailey

We are using SIP track and the bug is related to this.We have 10 port in each server and totally 20. To day I have restarted the Connection Conversation Manager Service and Lock count counter is changed 0 and presently we don’t busy done issue.

Thank you for the document details and port configuration details. We have configured 10 ports each server and we have more licence but when I check the licence details it shows used = 10 ? is it correct ?

In your previous replay you mention  : In CUCM 7.0 and even 7.1, there is a known bug where SIP ports get locked up due to an issue with CUC.  This should be fixed in the latest version which is 7.1(3b)SU2.” 

The bug in CUC or CUCM ?

Regards,

bawanraj

When you look at licensing, you are only viewing one server at a time.  So the =10 port count is for the server selected.  Select your other server and you'll see the same.  The ports are counted per server.

The bug is a CUC bug and it sounds like you're likely hitting it.  I believe it is fixed is 7.1(3b)SU2; however, my personal recommendation would be to switch up your integration to SCCP.  SIP works and is supported; however, I find it to be more "buggy" and occassionally has limitations that don't apply to SCCP.  SCCP is tried and true and rarely has issues such as this.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: