Unable to silent-monitor agent's conversation using CTI OS Supervisor Softphone

Unanswered Question
Apr 13th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

Currently we are using the UCCE 7.5.8 and we have encountered some issue with the silent monitoring feature.

We are using CTI OS Agent/ Supervisor Softphone, with the agent's PC connected to the PC port of the Cisco IP Phone 7940 and logged using the CTI OS Agent Softphone, we have tried to initiate the silent monitor session from the CTI OS Supervisor Softphone. However, it always prompted the error message "Silent Monitor session failed..."

What could be the cause of the issue? I have attached the screen shot of the mentioned error message appearing on the Supervisor's PC.

Appreciate any advice to rectify this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Eric

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Diwakar.D_2 Tue, 04/13/2010 - 06:12
User Badges:

Hi Eric,

This is generally due to incompatible NIC on the client PC which does not allow VLAN Tagging, you can either find other post in the Support community for further information or compare the NIC with the list of NIC supported(document enclosed, not sure if there is a recent version of this document) for Silent monitoring, In most cases this can be resolved by registry changes or driver upgrade.

Do let me know the status

Thanks,

eric.neoh Tue, 04/13/2010 - 21:39
User Badges:

Hi, Geoff.

The silent monitor is CTIOS-based. Do you have any advice about rectifying this issue?

Thanks & Regards,
Eric

Sorry Eric, we always like to use CUCM silent monitoring due to issues such as you face.

If you can change to that method, you will find it more reliable. If you don't have the right CUCM, ICM or phones (and I see that you have 7940s which don't have the built-in bridge required) to do that, I understand.

I apologize, but I don't know the answer to your question.

Is the Silent Monitoring service running on the client PC?

Regards,

Geoff

eric.neoh Wed, 04/14/2010 - 10:29
User Badges:

Hi, Geoff.

Thanks. You have mentioned that CUCM-based is much more reliable and you recommended it instead of CTIOS based monitoring. How does CUCM based monitoring work? What is the advantages it has over the CTIOS based monitoring? Do you still click the "Silent Monitor" button in CTI OS Supervisor Softphone for initiating a silent monitoring session?

Thanks & Regards,

Eric

eric.neoh wrote:

How does CUCM based monitoring work?

What is the advantages it has over the CTIOS based monitoring?

How does Silent Monitoring work?

• A customer calls in.
  • The call is routed to an agent, who answers the call.
  • The supervisor’s desktop application shows that the agent has an active call.
  • The supervisor selects the call and clicks the monitor button to start a monitoring session (same as with Desktop-based).
  • CUCM instructs the supervisor’s IP phone to make a special monitoring call to the agent’s phone.
  • The BIB of the agent’s phone answers the monitoring call automatically and begins to send a single, mixed RTP stream (Agent + Customer) to the supervisor’s phone.
  • Neither the agent nor the customer can hear the supervisor.
  • An optional monitoring tone can be configured to play to the agent, the customer, or both.

Advantages:

• Monitored calls are managed like normal calls (for example, they can be transferred, held, or conferenced).
  • Silent Monitoring does not require SPAN (not required for Desktop-based WinPCAP monitoring)
  • The feature is network topology friendly.
  • CUCM Silent Monitoring plays through the phone, not the PC - which other methods use.
  • The feature provides CAC, Bandwidth Reservation, and Codec Negotiation.
  • Silent Monitoring provides notification tones when legal compliance is required.

Regards,

Geoff

eric.neoh Wed, 04/14/2010 - 16:49
User Badges:

Hi, Geoff.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Really appreciate it. I wish I could change it to CUCM based monitoring, but we do have quite a numbers of 7940s.. 1 more thing I have noticed, whenever I clicked the "Silent Monitor" button in the CTI OS Supervisor Softphone (with or without active voice call), the same error message just showed up. I wonder if this is the software bug or the silent monitor component in the toolkit crashes when it is executed.

Thanks & Regards,

Eric

eric.neoh Tue, 04/13/2010 - 21:37
User Badges:

Hi, Diwakar.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to sniff the RTP voice packets in my laptop, with the NIC card port connected to the PC port of the IP phone. I could actually see some RTP packet in my sniffer. But when I tried to start the Silent Monitor session again, the same error message appeared again. Do you have any idea?

Thanks & Regards ,

Eric

david.macias Wed, 04/14/2010 - 07:02
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

What type of NIC does the agent PC have?

david

eric.neoh Wed, 04/14/2010 - 10:32
User Badges:

Hi, David.

The agents' PCs are installed with Intel-type NIC. But i could see some RTP packet when I tried to sniff the voice packets between 2 IP Phones using sniffer.

Regards,
Eric

Diwakar.D_2 Wed, 04/14/2010 - 07:14
User Badges:

Eric,

As i understand. I faced the problem and rectified through registry changes on the Client PC, Please share us the NIC Make, Model and drivers version of the client PC.

Thanks,

pslovinsky Wed, 07/28/2010 - 06:04
User Badges:

Hi Eric,

we have the same setup and same problem like you.

Did you resolve this issue??

btw: When we use CTIOS Desktop 6.0, silent monitoring works, but with 7.5.x on the same PC no. So we think, that NIC is not problem.

Thanks

Patrik

eric.neoh Wed, 07/28/2010 - 09:48
User Badges:

Hi, Patrik.

The issue happened because I have selected Silent  Monitoring Check box while CTIOS setup. The problem was then resolved when I uncheck this Silent Monitoring check box by  running the CTIOS setup on both the servers. You will need to stop CTIOS  services which will have service Impact.

Pls see the attached screen shot.
Regards,
Eric
pslovinsky Fri, 07/30/2010 - 04:42
User Badges:

Hi Eric,

thank you for your answer, it help me to fix my issue. (5 points for you)

Patrik

Actions

This Discussion