Level 1

Hi

I have cisco 2960 and have configured the timezone as mentioned below

sh run | i time
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone
clock timezone CST -6
clock summer-time CDT recurring

I have changed the date and time manually but after reobboting the switch its going back to old date and time(feb 2003 )...

Regards

kumar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kumar

This is normal behaviour for a 2960 switch. The clock is not battery backed up so will always set itself back to the default when the switch is reloaded.

If you want to keep the time between reloads then you need to setup the switch as an NTP client and synchronise it to an NTP server in your network.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi,

Just to make sure you save the config before rebooting correct?

Also, do you have an NTP configured on the router?

Federico.

Hi,

After saving the config rebooting the switch..this is the test box..ntp is not configured..

On the switch if you do a ''sh start'' does it reflects the new time?

I don't see a reason why the device will go back to a previous time without having any other time source.

If the problem persists, could you post the config?

Federico.

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

If you have written the config to the start-up, then it should reflect the time configured.

NTP is not required for managing time locally.

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

this is normal and expected because you are not configuring the hardware clock

you must use calendar command to do this

but i am not sure if it is supported by your switch

calendar set

To manually set the hardware clock (calendar), use one of the formats of the calendar set command in EXEC mode.

calendar set hh:mm:ss day month year

calendar set hh:mm:ss month day year

Usage Guidelines

Some platforms have a hardware clock that is separate from the software clock. In Cisco IOS software syntax, the hardware clock is called the "calendar." The hardware clock is a battery-powered chip that runs continuously, even if the router is powered off or rebooted. After you set the hardware clock, the software clock will be automatically set from the hardware clock when the system is restarted or when the clock read-calendar EXEC command is issued. The time specified in this command is relative to the configured time zone.

Examples

The following example manually sets the hardware clock to 1:32 p.m. on May 19, 2003:

Router# calendar set 13:32:00 May 19 2003

Related Commands

Command
Description

clock read-calendar

Performs a one-time update of the software clock from the hardware clock (calendar).

clock set

Sets the software clock.

clock summer-time

Configures the system time to automatically switch to summer time (daylight saving time).

clock timezone

Sets the time zone for display purposes.

clock update-calendar

Performs a one-time update of the hardware clock from the software clock.

Hi,

You need to set clock as well

Thanks/Bhisham

Hi,

All the basic stuff has been taken care, still the same issue..if you wnat have a config look..here is attached..

This is a teat  and can do any change

Regards

kumar.

Kumar

This is normal behaviour for a 2960 switch. The clock is not battery backed up so will always set itself back to the default when the switch is reloaded.

If you want to keep the time between reloads then you need to setup the switch as an NTP client and synchronise it to an NTP server in your network.

Jon

Thanks for clarification..

Regards

Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card