Views
Helpful
Replies

How to backup the OS of the UCCX 7?

mansssorange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I know that the Backup and Restore will backup all configurations done on the UCCX and also the databases and even the call recordings, but what if anything happens with the OS itself?

I need to install a backup tool on the server (for example Veritas backup tool) but I am searching to know if it is compatible with the UCCX7/OS or not but with no luck.

Any help will be really appreciated, the OS version is 2003.1.2a.

Thanks a lot.

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You don't need to back up the OS.

If the OS fails for whatever reason, you can rebuild it from the automated Cisco media, install UCCX, and restore your UCCX backup.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hello Aaron,

Can you clairfy please what you mean by automated Cisco media?

Thanks.

Hi

I mean when you buy UCCX you get two sets of media:

1) The OS isntall media - put it in, and it deploys a preconfigured OS image for your server type.

2) The UCCX software, and SQL software if you have HA

Once you've installed the OS, you install any OS service releases or upgrades you want to to bring the patching/service pack level up to date.

You would then install UCCX, and when you go to the appadmin page for the first time you would use the 'restore' option to restore the UCCX backup.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for the clarification, unfortunately right now we do not have the OS Install Media, that is why I am searching for a way to backup the OS itself.

Hi

I would be a little cautious; I think you would be best advised to find the old media or source new ones rather than try other methods.

You may be able to do a full server/bare bones type backup, and then restore the UCCX backup; but I don't know what your support status would be with TAC etc.

Regards

Aaron

Two options:

1) Use a drive imaging package like Acronis or Ghost. We use Acronis and it works excellent. A complete backup can be had in less than 20 minutes. This is handy for manual backups, though Acronis does have an enterprise package that will do scheduled images of the entire drive.

2) If you're using an MCS with RAID1 (Mirrored Drives) you can purchase another spare drive and remove half of the mirror. If the server ever fails (or the installed drives) you can recover simply by replacing the primary drive and booting it up. This is the fastest restore method, though more costly and not a nightly backup solution.

Good luck.

Brian

Hi,

I tried to backup once Win2k3 appliance with Ghost (from Hirens CD), and backup was successful but restore wasn't. Maybe it wasn't successful due to huge backup file (appr. 20 GB). On the other hand, interesingly, I was able to browse for most of files in this Ghost image.

I hope you folks will (did) not have the same problem

Aleš @ TelekomSlovenije

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: