Views
Helpful
Replies

Failure with Config Archive

dmistry21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are running LMS 3.0.1 with RME 4.1.1 and i'm currently having a problem with config archive with some Cat2960 devices.

The error I get is:

"CM0056 Config fetch failed for <device name>Cause: CM0204 Could not create DeviceContext for 1413 Cause: CM0202 Could not access <device_ip>via SNMP. Action: Check the Read Community string Action: Check if required device packages are available in RME. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed".

We have the correct package installed as the device is known in DCR and inventory collection is ok.  I can also snmpwalk to the device ok with the password set in the DCR.

Also does IOS version have any bearing on config collection, i'm assuming not ?

Ayy ideas ?

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You can indeed just upgrade to 3.2

You should however check if a device is on the supported devices list, and if it is there what the minimum IOS version is.

search for "supported devices" on cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/device_support/table/lms32sdt.html

Are you device packeges up to date?

Check CS -> Software Center -> Device Updates

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dmistry21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

In addition to help resolve some of these issues, is there a newer version of RME than 4.1.1 for LMS 3.0.1.

On cisco.com it seems to suggest this is the latest version on 3.0.1, is this the case ?

If not would the upgrade path be just to LMS 3.2 ?

Many Thanks

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You can indeed just upgrade to 3.2

You should however check if a device is on the supported devices list, and if it is there what the minimum IOS version is.

search for "supported devices" on cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/device_support/table/lms32sdt.html

Are you device packeges up to date?

Check CS -> Software Center -> Device Updates

Cheers,

Michel

Hi

I suppose this issue is two-fold:

What i've found is the device updates are there within software center for these 2960 devices.

The SysObjectID is for the correct device when I compare with an SNMPwalk.

I've taken a look at the support devices for LMS 3.2 and these devices also seem to be within the table.

So are we saying that if we upgrade to LMS 3.2 there may be devices that "may" become unsupported as they may be EOL or is it the devices will be supported as they were in 3.0.1 but the ios may need upgrading ?

Also is RME 4.1.1 the most recent version available for LMS 3.0.1 ?

Many Thanks

It can be possible that a device is no longer supported because it is end of support. (Do you want an unsupported device in your network?)

it may mean you need to put a newer IOS. (your network is likely to run more predictable if all devices of a kind run the same software, preferably a version that is not deferred)

If you wish to know if a newer version of RME exist you can check that yourself

Check CS -> Software Center -> Software Updates, select RME

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks Michel.

Unfortunately we don't have internet access from our LMS environment but have found that RME 4.1 is the latest version for LMS 3.0.1 and:

• LMS 3.1 has RME 4.2
  • LMS 3.2 has RME 4.3

In the short-term i'll have to look into the possible reasons of the original error:

"CM0056 Config fetch failed for Cause: CM0204 Could not create DeviceContext for 1413 Cause: CM0202 Could not access via SNMP. Action: Check the Read Community string Action: Check if required device packages are available in RME. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed".

Possibly a timeout issue ?

I could indeed be a timeout, but check this first .

You should run a credential verification job and check the report to see if credentials are OK.

You should verify if the device is supported with the IOS version it currently has.

You should also make sure to have the latest device package for this device type.

I don't really understand the hassle some people make for giving a server access to internet. If you trust cisco enough to install their software then why not allow that software to connect to CCO and update itself?

For cases where my customer wants to control, I usually point the proxy on LMS to a server on which customer can start a proxy service whenever the server needs to connect to CCO.

Cheers,

Michel