cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS CIFS object caching

aalejo
Level 5
Level 5

It is possible during a CIFS session to catch CIFS objects (files) in both WAAS across a LAN?.

One of the WAAS is located close to the server (where the files are) and the other is located across a WAN at a branch location where the files are being dragged.

The idea is that, initially, the files were moves from the client to the server and then back to other client on the same location:

My understanding is:

When the files are move from the client to the server, the CIFS WAAS at the server location is filled and when the files are move back to another client at the same branch office the WAAS CIFS  at the branch office is filled.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

The CIFS object cache is a client-side function, so it will only cache/serve content for a local client.  That being said, the DRE byte-level cache is bi-directional and will benefit the client/server for transactions in the reverse direction of the original flow.

Zach

Hi Zach

Yes,  that's what i knew (also about the DRE TCP caching, but DRE caching still requires transfer of signature over the WAN). I was looking to tweak the CIFS AO algorithm and force both WAAS to catch the files in a single transfer because the scenario i'm dealing with,  files are initially transfer from client to server.

No other way?

I need to fill the Branch WAAS CIFS cache when files are transferred from client (Branch) to server (main location).

Thanks

The CIFS object cache will be populated with the content when the transfer occurs from the client --> server.  Are you saying that you want to populate the CIFS object cache on the server-side WAAS device as well?

Zach

Zach

There are two WAAS CIFS caches: The Brand WAAS CIFS cache and the Main site (Where the servers are) WAAS CIFS cache.

I am interesting in filling the Brand WAAS CIFS cache.

Initially files are going to be transfer from client TO server. According to my knowledge, in this scenario, the WAAS CIFS cache on the server side is filled on NOT the Brand WAAS CIFS cache.

I know, for a fact, that when you transfer a file from server TO client, the Brand WAAS CIFS is filled and the Main Office WAAS is NOT.

Thanks

Server is on Main Office and client is on Branch office.

Alex

Alex,

It depends on how you do the transfer.  If you are transfering (ex: drag/drop from client machine to server share) the files from the client to server, the client-side WAAS device will populate the CIFS object cache.

Zach

In what scenarios does a client to server transfer will fill the client WAAS CIFS cache? Any link that explain this? Having being able to find anything.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: