Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM Not working

mkingcsnm
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

My ASA 5510 has the ASDM which I can download and install or view through the browser, however when I try to either I can only get so far as putting in the credentials then both forms stop. The browser just stays a main page will open and the app just closes.

I have built another fresh PC windows xp just incase my was corrupt, however I still get the same thing. the ASA is running 7.0(8) and the ASDM is 5.0(8).

Any ideas, I can still telnet to the device but I can't seem to open the ASDM and the problem seems to be the device.

1 Accepted Solution
19 Replies 19

Hi,

When doing a ''sh flash'' you see the image and ASDM version correct?

Just as when doing a ''sh ver''

You are using local credentials to access ASDM?

''sh user''

This user must have privilege 15

You're not getting any kind of error?

Federico.

Hi,

Yes, there is no error message, which is really strange. I'm using an account with privilege 15 and the version is correct.

You get to the point where you're asked for credentials, so the http portion of the configuration on the ASA should be fine.

The problem is that ASDM does not load.

Check if your computer meets the requirements to load ASDM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/asdm50/release/notes/rn508.html

Try it from different machines as well.

Federico.

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

What version of Java are you running?  Several Java versions have problems with ASDM.  I do not remember all the undocumented versions conflicts between ASDM and Java, but I do remember about when there started to be a problem.

I would first make sure you have the most recent java version, as of this post it is version 6 update 19,  but if you still have problems try version 6 update 7 I believe the issue started with update 11.

it works fine with java 6u7 

Device Type: ASA5510

ASA Version: 7.0(8)

ASDM Version: 5.0(8)

Privilege Level: 15

Java Version: 1.6.0_7 

Hi,

First off you have to make sure that your java version is compatible with your asdm version. I used to face this kind of problem before. In case it's not a java problem. You may need to restart ASA.

Toshi

Well,

I'm not sure why I got low rating on this thread. If it was my wording,"restart the device", then I would have to tell you that I and my colleagues had to do this as a last resource for this kind of problem when not accessing to ASA for a long time. It worked for us and the point is we did try many different java versions and many different machines as well.

Wow, this is my first day to get back to work with Netpro again. It's not a good day though.

Toshi 

I got no rate at all! Don't worry ;-)

Federico.

Federico,

Thanks for your prompt. (grin)

P.S. It would be nice to know what people have in mind when they choose 1-rating here.

Toshi

Maybe Ryan have not tried it...

Have you tried our suggestions Ryan?

Federico.

(off topic)

I have no problem with the suggestion and I wish I could say that it wasn't me who gave the 1, but the website says it was.   No idea how or when, but it won't let me change it either.  I guess the simple answer is sorry, but if anyone knows how to remove or change a rating then that would be better.

rwagner@partners-intl.net

(off topic)

I have no problem with the suggestion and I wish I could say that it wasn't me who gave the 1, but the website says it was.   No idea how or when, but it won't let me change it either.  I guess the simple answer is sorry, but if anyone knows how to remove or change a rating then that would be better.

Ryan

What makes you think it was you that gave the 1 rating ?

Jon

I have a gold star and 3 green stars next to the post.  I have only seen gold stars on posts I have rated before.

rwagner@partners-intl.net

I have a gold star and 3 green stars next to the post.  I have only seen gold stars on posts I have rated before.

Ryan

I doubt it was you who rated the post 1 if you can't remember doing it. You can't tell who rates posts so don't worry about it, no need to apologize

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: