Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec Throughput

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

WIth Location A and Location B with 100Mbps Internet Connections at each end and a VPN tunnel with ASA5505s at each end, should we not expect to see throughput of close to 100Mbps?  The ISPs are directly peered and there is nothing but the IPSec traffic using the links.  I know we are not guaranteed the bandwidth but I would think that we should get close to 100Mbps most of the time.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

2 Replies 2

Hi,

You should see close to the bandwidth taking in consideration all the normal delay from distance and overhead.

The IPsec traffic includes a lot of overhead for each IPsec packet and the encryption process demands processing.

Federico.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

angel-moon wrote:

Hello,

WIth Location A and Location B with 100Mbps Internet Connections at each end and a VPN tunnel with ASA5505s at each end, should we not expect to see throughput of close to 100Mbps?  The ISPs are directly peered and there is nothing but the IPSec traffic using the links.  I know we are not guaranteed the bandwidth but I would think that we should get close to 100Mbps most of the time.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

Angel

The ASA5505 is rated as 100Mbps throughput for 3DES/AES traffic -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

As you say though you are running across the Internet and there is no guarantee of bandwidth between 2 end points so it may vary quite widely depending on time of day etc..

Jon