cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat OS help

Cmasas7374
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just purchased a Catalyst 2948G switch not realizing that it has CatOS on it. Which I have no clue how to use. Any tips on converting modern IOS 12 commands to CatOS?

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

CatOS is based on the use of two directives

set ...

clear

it can be used only for L2 services but once you know how to do tasks it is even easier to configure ports

set port enable 1/1      =      int fas 1/0 ;  no shut;

set port name 1/1  PC789   =    int fas1/0; desc PC789;

set vlan 50 name test50  == >    vlan 50; name test50   OR    in older IOS   vlan database; vlan 50; name test50; apply; exit;

set vlan 50 1/1   =   int f1/0  switchport; switchport access vlan 50

set trunk 1/2 on dot1q  =     int f1/1 ; switchport; switchport trunk enc dot1q; switchport mode trunk;

clear trunk 1/2 2-1000; set trunk 1/2 50;  = int f1/1; switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,50

set vlan 50 1/3-10, 2/2   =   without interface range would mean a lot of commands

sh port

sh trunk

allows to check settings

see this config guide from CatOS for C4000

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.1/configuration/guide/configure.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ah, I see. Those definitely will get the ball rolling for me. Thanks.

Any idea how to enable/disable debug messages?

Hello Chris,

as far as I know there are no debug options in CatOS

However, catOS tends to provide more log messages and you see them always (no need of terminal monitor)

so usually the trouble is to get rid of log messages on the session

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cmasas7374 wrote:

Hi, I just purchased a Catalyst 2948G switch not realizing that it has CatOS on it. Which I have no clue how to use. Any tips on converting modern IOS 12 commands to CatOS?

In addition to Giuseppe's post have a look at the Field Manual pdf in this link, it covers CatOS and the equivalent IOS commands -

http://pdfdatabase.com/download/fieldmanual-cisco-catalyst-pdf-16698751.html

Jon

Ah, I see. Thanks

Quick question, is it possible at all to upgrade CatOS on the 2948G to a version of IOS 12?

Not possible. The only available download on Cisco.com is CatOS for the 2948G.

Regards,

jerry

Oh ok. What is a supervisor card and how do I get another one? How do I find out what my supervisor card it?

Not possible for the 2948G. Supervisor card (SUP, a.k.a. the brain of the switch) is refering to the Catalyst 4xxx and 6xxx platform or Nexus 7xxx, where you can mix and match modules. The 29xx and 3xxx are the fix switch platform. Please refer to the below link for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/index.html

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card