cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco linksys 851

rodefeyidj
Level 1
Level 1

Hey , I just started a job, and here they have a small network, DSL connection to a 851 router another linksys router, a switch and the workstations.. Well somebody configure the 851 router but here nobody knows the password of the router. I was trying to connect via console and then i found out that i could not do it.. so I download the SDM software in my laptop and trying to connect to the router, i can not via broweser, so I connected my laptop with a crossover cable the the only port enable in the router, but i could not get connection (internet) even though that router gives the connection to the network..

I want to see the configuration of that 851 router, how  can i get into the router ? ANy help..

15 Replies 15

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You'll need to connect to the console on the router and perform password recovery. Directions can be found at the following link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

Hope it helps.

This router comes with the  NO SERVICES PASSWORD-RECOVERY enable. which means that i can not console the router or even change the configuration register. I tried already..

You should be able to recover it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3ya8/gtnsvpwd.html#wp1027258

To recover a device once the No Service Password-Recovery  feature has been enabled, press the Break key within 5 seconds after the image  decompresses during the boot. You are prompted to confirm the Break key action.  When you confirm the action, the startup configuration is erased, the  password-recovery procedure is enabled, and the router boots with the factory  default configuration.

When i tried to consoled the router with hyperterminal, you know windows 7 does not comes with hyperterminal so i dowloand the Hypert. files. I connected my console cable to the console port of the router and i made a connection, it was saying that i was connected it was not showing me any infomormation.. I tried Putty too and the same thing happends.. So what should i do..?

I do not want to erase my configuration, i just want to see the configuration of the router and then start working from there..

Check your serial settings. Hopefully the last person didn't change them from the default [see attachment].

Do you think you might know what the enable password could be?

well if he did not change the password it could be the defaul one which is cisco/cisco. I got the console cable with a usb-serial adapter because my laptop does not have a serial port. so the usb is asigned the com 3 and i was usingi it liket   that.. But even doing like that it does not ask me for any password for nothing. The hyperteminal connecion windows is blank.

Have you tried telnet and SSH to the box?

yes. but you know that u need to configure telnet in your router for you to be able to telnet to it.. If you dont and

you try to telnet will tell you: password something not configured ( i dont remenber right now what it says).. I can ping to the router

Attached is an example of the netw. or a lest how it looks to be..

Can you test the console connection on one of the switches or another network device? I would get that working first.

Yes, they work fine. My whole network is working fine.. I just want to know the configuration of that router to see if i can connect that router straight to my switch and elinate the RV082 linksys that i have right before the 851.. Because the 851 can do NAT and HDCP and remote connection..

I don't think you're understanding me correctly. Make sure that your USB-Serial adapter and Putty are working correctly. You can test it by connecting to it a different device. Once you have verified they are working you can then move it to the router and start to work on it.

The cisco SRW2048 switch does not have consolse..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: