cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redistribute static and default-information not found in 1941 router

tohchinlam
Level 1
Level 1

I want to inject default route into BGP to allow remote sites to learn the route but when configuring the 1941 router, I am not able to see both command when I perform show ? command.

I am still able to enter these commands into the config but all remote sites are not able to see the default route when I perform show ip bgp and show ip route.

The imageis 15.1 base version.  May I know how I can resolve this issue or any alternate solution to advertise default route in BGP?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tohchinlam wrote:

I want to inject default route into BGP to allow remote sites to learn the route but when configuring the 1941 router, I am not able to see both command when I perform show ? command.

I am still able to enter these commands into the config but all remote sites are not able to see the default route when I perform show ip bgp and show ip route.

The imageis 15.1 base version.  May I know how I can resolve this issue or any alternate solution to advertise default route in BGP?

Have you tried -

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Null0

router bgp

network 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

Edit - the above assumes that the BGP router will have better routes to destinations and if it doesn't that you want to discard the traffic. If the BGP router should forward traffic on to another router then just change the "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Null0" statement to "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ".

Jon

Hi,

No. I have not yet tried these commands. May I know will there be any impact as this is a live network and would like to minimize any disruption?

Thanks

Chin Lam

I have a default route that pointed to the firewall. By placing ip route

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Null0, will it drops all the internet traffics?

If you have a default route pointed to the FW, then you don't have to  configure the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0. You should be able to  advertise the default like Jon said in the previous post with the network command in the BGP process.

HTH,

jerry

Jerry

Thanks for this, the last thing i want is to take down the network

As Jerry and i said if you have a default-route there already then leave as is and simply add this under your BGP config -

router bgp

network 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

As for whether it will affect your network, well i'm not sure how routing is working at the moment if you don't have a default-route being propogated to any EBGP peers. It won't reload or reset any devices if that is what you mean but only you know how it will affect your own network.

Jon

The original poster describes that he wants a default route in BGP so the remote neighbors will learn a default route and could not find the default route command in BGP. It is not found directly under BGP but is a parameter on the BGP neighbor command:

router bgp 1

neighbor 1.1.1.1 default-originate

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card