cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License question concerning UC540

Audy Bautista
Level 1
Level 1

Comes with 8 user license out of the box.  I have 6 IP phones and 2 analog devices.  Does that max out my user license count? In other words, do analog devices connected to the FXS ports use up licenses.  Thanks.

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Audy,

Yes it does as Ephones would need to be created, they all add up to the license count.

Unless something has changed your assumptions are correct. However what I am not sure about, is that with the UC520's they provided you with 2X floating licenses for things like CIPC's which took you from 8 too 10 licenses (Basically giving you two for free), I am not sure if they do this now I havent checked.

Keep in mind that the licensing arrangement prior to CME version 8 (In particular the UC520's) the license was on a trust basis from what I could tell, if you modified the allowable devices (DN's/ephones) you would run the risk of TAC turning you down for support if they noticed that you configured the system more than what it was licensed for.

Until Marco/Steve or Dave properly answers the question, I would work on the assumptions you have maxed out your licenses and may still have a possible 2 left.

NOTE: You can check how many licenses are available on the command line, do the following:

• ROUTER# sh telephony-services

Look for the commands that say "Max-DN's" and "Max-ephones" that will tell you what the system is presently licensed for or configured for.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Audy,

An 8 user UC520 or 540 SKU actually has 14 licenses.

8 Ethernet Phones + 4 FXS User Mode Phones (we assume you want them to be extensions with features and voicemail boxes) + 2 floating as David explained (freebie)

If you want to use FXS for Common area phones (no feature or voice mail) or FAX, then you get a few extra to paly with, but we dont really advertise that too much.

Steve

And Thank You David!!!   You are a trusted advisor as far as I am concerned.

Thank you. If I have a Polycom and have to set it up to register via SCCP to give it fac features, does it affect the count differently then what you just mentioned?

Audy Bautista

Network Infrastructure & Security Team (NIST)

Richard Fleischman & Assoc., RFA

http://www.rfa.com

Technology Consulting / Business Continuity Services

Cell: 646-210-0935

Direct: 212-659-4833

ServiceDesk / NOC: 212-867-4600

Regarding licenses, it (Polycom) would use an FXS "user mode" license same as if it were any other analog phone set up for FAC (and set up with an ephone in the config)..

Hi Steve,

An 8 user UC520 or 540 SKU actually has 14 licenses.

8 Ethernet
Phones + 4 FXS User Mode Phones (we assume you want them to be
extensions with features and voicemail boxes) + 2 floating as David
explained (freebie)

Forgive me ignorance here, but the last CME 8 conference I was in, they advised that the system was going to be locked down on the licensing issue according to what the system was released as, and if you wanted more licenses they would be "E" Delivered and you would install them, this is how we quote them as well, all systems are defaulted as 8 or 16 and then licenses purchased for what ever the requirement is.

If the Hard Lock on the licensing is enforced but not as heavily as I was lead to believe it to be, I am breathing easier, this would provide us with a buffer in the event we need to activate more users for certain clients, at least until they purchased more licenses.

Thank you very much for your clarification, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

No worries.    Saurabh bundles things differently for the UC500 playground :-)  I dont doubt what you heard for CME on ISR is fact.

Steve

Steve,

I am looking for threads to help me understand licensing as well. We've been doing this for a long time now, and as we near our licesne limit, we notice that CUE GUI and CCA start to ignore changes and adding the last phones?  Has anyone else noticed this? I can only "See" and manage ephones in CLI as we approach the max limit.  I'm not concerned about the FXS lic. count...but those might be jamming us up in our gui's ?

Example: We have a UC560 16u and they bought 2 x 8 packs = 32 licenses. We've always been told that 32 has 4 soft licenses included (2 for each 8 pack?).

This client has 33 phones in and the last one ( 34th) was a real pain and had to be added via CLI. and we canot "See" all of those users/phone is the GUI's ?!

it's very odd and not the first time we've seen this odd behavior. (seen it on UC520's 24 and 32 users. and now UC560's.) 

Any ideas?

Stacy

UC560 Platform Reference Guide Table 4:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/reference_guide_c07-566560.html#wp9000436

Table 4. Licensing and User Capacity for the Cisco  UC 560

License Configuration

Description

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model)

16 user licenses, 2 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 1 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

24 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 2 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

32 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 3 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

40 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 4 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

48 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 5 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

56 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 6 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

64 user licenses, 4 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 7 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

72 user licenses, 6 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 8 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

80 user licenses, 6 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 9 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

88 user licenses, 6 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 10 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

96 user licenses, 6 supplemental user  licenses

UC560 (FXO, BRI, or T1E1 model) and 11 x  L-UC-PRO-8U=

104 user licenses, 6 supplemental user  licenses

That's great info !

Now- have other dealers or Cisco experienced the issues I am describing with the GUI"s not showing the last few phones ?

Having to use CLI to "see" all the ephones?

It's causing us an issue when we're showing a client how to use CCA to add new phones and we can't. They have 34 of their 36 lic full. and we're not going to show the CLI ?!

I can't wait for the full OM relelase :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: