Views
Helpful
Replies

Data across VPC on 7K

yin1622009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

On Nexus 7k Data can be forwarded on both HSRP active and standby. Does that mean that data will then propagate across the VPC peer-link.

I was under the impression that data will never propagate across those links which are reserved for state sync etc..

My example will be a 5k with 2 vpcs to a pair of back-to-back 7K. The 7K is then connectec to an L3 cloud.

In other words, can the traffic hit N7K#2(stnby hsrp) then crosss the VPC link to the N7K#1(active hsrp) then to the upstream L3 cloud.

No single attached device in the design.

many Thanks

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yin1622009 wrote:

Hi:

On Nexus 7k Data can be forwarded on both HSRP active and standby. Does that mean that data will then propagate across the VPC peer-link.

I was under the impression that data will never propagate across those links which are reserved for state sync etc..

My example will be a 5k with 2 vpcs to a pair of back-to-back 7K. The 7K is then connectec to an L3 cloud.

In other words, can the traffic hit N7K#2(stnby hsrp) then crosss the VPC link to the N7K#1(active hsrp) then to the upstream L3 cloud.

No single attached device in the design.

many Thanks

Alex

It doesn't work quite like that. A lot of effort has been put in to make sure that the interconnect link is not used for data. So even though it is still referred to as a standby it is more like active/active HSRP in the sense that both physical L3 interfaces on each switch are capable of forwarding traffic. So the "standby" HSRP routers does not need to send the traffic across the interconnect to the "active" HSRP router.

Jon

I am facing a similar issue with a different requirement.

We are using two N7010 switches as HSRP peers with one of them (N7K-1) having a higher priority.

We don't want the standby Nexus to handle the client's request simply because it will direct the client to a different Internet link.

What if we connect an additional trunk (non-vPC peer link) between the two N7K's. Will the standby Nexus forward the traffic to the active through this trunlk link?

In other words, if we connect a trunk link between the two Nexus switches, will HSRP work as it should be (active-standby)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card