cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installation error "The installation was unable to retrieve needed drive information" Cisco OS Build 2003.1.5

cisco_admin1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am getting the error "The installation was unable to retrieve needed drive information! Error code: 1, Drive Count Fatal Error" everytime I try to install the Cisco OS 2003.1.5 on our IBM 7835-i3 equivalent. It gets to the "Clearing Raid array data" and then throws this error. I have looked at the pre-installation

logs and they have errors:

"Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object."

We are not using an appliance and have built the server equivalent according to the sheet located at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/product_solution_overview0900aecd80091615.html

Any ideas?

thanks,

Alun.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Did you spec a RAID controller?

I'm no IBM expert, but remember not all HP servers necessarily came with RAID built in (a long time ago)...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

Hi

What RAID controller is it?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Alun

Well - on the server compatibility list you pointed out earlier, I see two controllers listed:

ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller - for x3650-M2 servers

IBM ServeRAID 8k SAS Controller- for x3650 servers

The OS build won't include drivers etc for non-standard RAID controllers, so since you have a model that's not on the list I would assume that is your problem.

Regards

Aaron

Hi Alun

I'm fairly sure other versions of the OS have been more strict, and would downgrade version that it didn't like.

In general it's best to stick with what has been tested by Cisco, but I would certainly take the time to check the release notes from the manufacturer before downgrading it if it isn't forced to downgrade by the installer. If you see on the release notes it fixes something critical or there is another reason that might make you upgrade if this were any other server, stay with the newer version...

Glad to hear you have it running now.

Regards

Aaron

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Did you spec a RAID controller?

I'm no IBM expert, but remember not all HP servers necessarily came with RAID built in (a long time ago)...

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Yeah the system definately has a raid controller. I can see the raid controller from the BIOS and then view the hard drive information. I can also (if I wanted) create raid arrays from it so I would say the controller is functioning and so are the drives.

cheers,

Alun.

Hi

What RAID controller is it?

Aaron

Hi, its an IBM ServeRAID M1015 SAS controller

cheers,

Alun.

Hi Alun

Well - on the server compatibility list you pointed out earlier, I see two controllers listed:

ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller - for x3650-M2 servers

IBM ServeRAID 8k SAS Controller- for x3650 servers

The OS build won't include drivers etc for non-standard RAID controllers, so since you have a model that's not on the list I would assume that is your problem.

Regards

Aaron

Hey,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, there was a problem with the RAID card. On closer inspection it seems we were shipped with a ServeRAID-BR10i prt #: 44E8689 instead of the part we needed which was  ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller prt #: 43W4298. We've now got the correct cards and the installation is able to continue and complete.

During the installation we encountered the following error but were able to skip past it

"The current version of the BIOS is 1.03
     The BIOS version tested on this system is 1.02
     Please note this system has not been tested with the detected BIOS version of 1.03
     Press 'OK; to continue or 'Cancel' to abort the installation"

Does anyone know if we need to keep the BIOS FW exactly as recommended (i.e. 1.02) or will later firmwares still be acceptable?

thanks for the help.

alun.

Hi Alun

I'm fairly sure other versions of the OS have been more strict, and would downgrade version that it didn't like.

In general it's best to stick with what has been tested by Cisco, but I would certainly take the time to check the release notes from the manufacturer before downgrading it if it isn't forced to downgrade by the installer. If you see on the release notes it fixes something critical or there is another reason that might make you upgrade if this were any other server, stay with the newer version...

Glad to hear you have it running now.

Regards

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: