cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Drop Packets to File Server

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Please see attachments. A unix server operating at 1000/Full is connected to access switch (4506-e). When I ping another host on the same access switch everything is fine, no drop packets. When I ping the unix server from the distribution switch I get intermittent drops.

We move to the unix server to a different port on the same switch but same results. The system administrator swears on his mother's grave that it's not the server, but the switch is misconfigured. Is it a setting on the switch that may be causing the drop packets?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davidhuynh5 wrote:

Please see attachments. A unix server operating at 1000/Full is connected to access switch (4506-e). When I ping another host on the same access switch everything is fine, no drop packets. When I ping the unix server from the distribution switch I get intermittent drops.

We move to the unix server to a different port on the same switch but same results. The system administrator swears on his mother's grave that it's not the server, but the switch is misconfigured. Is it a setting on the switch that may be causing the drop packets?

Thanks in advance.

David

Are you seeing any packet drops on the uplink between the 4500 switch and the distribution switch - both ends of the connection ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

When I ping from the distribution switch to the management interface (svi) of the access switch, it's clean. When I ping from the access switch to the management interface (svi) of the distribution switch, it's clean. When I ping from the distribution switch to the unix server connected to the access switch (g2/19), it drops packets. I'm sure that it's a misconfiguration on the unix server's nic, but I need to validate that it's nothing that's misconfihgured on my end. I guess I'm looking for some possible reasons why it could be dropping packets (ie. mtu size, speed/duplex mistmatches) and how I can fix the problem for the customer. Thanks in advance.

David

Can you try a few additional tests -

1) ping from the 4500 to the unix server

2) ping from a client in the same vlan on the same switch to the unix server

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card