Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified messaging vs voice mail only

We are currently running unity 5 with an exchange 2007 environment off box.  My unity licenses are all for voice messaging only.  Each subscriber mailbox is connected to a seperate exchange account from the users email account.  For any given user, tsmith, there is an exchange user tsmith for email and a seperate exchange user vmbx_tsmith for voice mail.

Recently, I began hearing that there was no longer a distinction between the licensing for voice mail only and unified messaging.  After recently registering some new mailboxes that I purchased, I noticed that they added count to my licensed users for unified messaging which had never occurred before.  Can someone confirm or deny that there is no distinction between licensing in unity for unified messaging and voice mail only?  Also, if that is the case, is there a path to have existing licensing that I have purchased as voice mail only reflect as unified messaging in my licensing report?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've had TAC tell me this as well when trying to go from 4x to 5x for upgrade. It's going to be hard for you to accomplish this without ordering an upgrade to 7x or without getting your Account Manager involved. When you do that, you'll end up talking to Licensing again.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes. There is no longer a distinction between VM and UM with respects to licensing.

In regards to your question on migrating licenses. I am not sure. I seem to recall one of my customers having an issue with that. But I am not sure if it was simply because they didn't keep their support contracts up or that there was a time constraint in play. Someone else in the forum may know. Or you can send an e-mail to licensing@cisco.com and pose the question to them.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

So Bill is correct in that there is no longer a distinction between VMO and UM in Unity.  This began in 5x.  As for your licensing and a conversion, I believe it depends on your path for getting to 5x and higher.  For instance, if you are a CUWL customer and you purchased 5x as a new system or as an upgrade from 4x, then your licenses should already reflect the changes in Unity.  If you are not a CUWL customer, I'm not sure it's that simple.  However, I believe if you have support and are entitled to upgrade to 7x that you could get new licensing via the upgrade process that would give you the option to go either way.  To make certain, you should contact your Cisco AM and have a discussion about what you'd like to do.

Hailey

Thanks to both.  I am going to contact licensing and see what they have to say.  Will report back.  Thanks again.

Following up, I emailed licensing TAC and they told me:

Please to be informed that, we as Cisco Licensing Team only issues license for the products purchased. Regarding your issue please contact your cisco engineer who can help you in this issue.

So Licensing TAC isn't the way to go. I have contacted my SE to see if he is the "cisco engineer who can help you in this issue."  will post back.  Just as an FYI I used the text of this post as the text of the TAC case. 

I've had TAC tell me this as well when trying to go from 4x to 5x for upgrade. It's going to be hard for you to accomplish this without ordering an upgrade to 7x or without getting your Account Manager involved. When you do that, you'll end up talking to Licensing again.

Hailey

So David is right.  I tasked my SE with this and he came back with the following:

"So found the answer to your question below.  The path to get those licenses converted to unified messaging is by upgrading to 7.0 or higher.  This will be automatically converted during the conversion under your UCSS contract."

So I have attempted to order my upgrade to 7.  I say attempted because the PUT tool doesn't work for me and I have sent a request to order under my UCSS contract number to mp-upgrades@cisco.com based on a suggestion by my smartnet contract support person @ cisco.  So for those following the thread, converting the licensing as it is upgraded to unity 7 is the path.  Thanks to all for the help.

Just to clarify - you can get this done in Unity 5 as well (but I'd go to 7x at this point anyway). There is little difference between 5x and 7x and the licensing change or "deployment" model change began in 5x. I've done both for customers in production environments.

Hailey

Good luck with it - let me know if I can help further.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: