HSRP & Track on 3845ISR

Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2010

Hello,

I recently took over this Network, and would like to understand a few things that I am not sure about.

I am used to run HSRP on the LAN interfaces of a WAN router and track the serial interface so the router can failover if the circuit goes down.

In this particular setup, they are using a pair of 3845’s, each is connected to MPLS circuit, running eBGP with the provider, and iBGP with each other.  The 3845 has all the Layer-3 interfaces for the VLAN’s, and this is where the HSRP is configured for each VLAN.   The LAN interfaces on the router are not used, only the HWIC ports are used as trunks to the Layer-2 switches connected to them. Since this router  has dual functions (WAN and LAN L-3), do I need to configure tracking for the serial interface?  If so, would that need to be done for each SVI?

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Fri, 04/16/2010 - 21:31

Hello,

Yes, you would need to track the serial interface of the stand-by router.  You configure the primary HSRP router with a higher priority (110) and the stand-by HSRP router with a lower priority (105) you then track the serial interface of the stand-by router with command "standby track serial 0 or 1"

Here is case study with examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/case/studies/cs009.html#wp3475

HTH

Reza

Actions

This Discussion