LWAPP Access point wont advertise SSID's

Answered Question
Apr 17th, 2010
User Badges:

I have a 4402 WLC and LWAPP AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9  connected to it.

I have been wrestling with the config for sometime now.

I have a laptop right next to it that wont see the SSIDs I have configured being broadcast.

I have no idea why but I do have the following errors in the log.

Apr 17 11:37:59.091 sim.c:913 SIM-3-GW_MISMATCH: MAC address of the GW 00:0f:f7:32:c1:80 recieved in the JOIN Request differs from the cached MAC addr 00:00:0c:07:ac:64 of the Gw. Deleting the Gw IP 10.45.50.97 for the AP Mgr & sending ARP req. for resolv

Apr 17 11:37:49.080 spam_lrad.c:1107 LWAPP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: Ignoring discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (70) on interface (1) in L3 LWAPP mode

I notice the first error related to the GW IP, but I am not sure where this is specified and why it is mismatched.

I also dont know what the second error means either about the wrong VLAN.

Please can anyone help!

Many thanks,

Neil

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 7 years 1 month ago

I've seen this in HP laptops some time ago and it's call "LAN Switching".  By default, it's disabled on the BIOS. 

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Sat, 04/17/2010 - 05:29
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

What firmware are you running?

Neil Haswell Sat, 04/17/2010 - 14:15
User Badges:

Ok I now understand why I am not seeing any SSID's

I am actually troubleshooting this remotely and have a laptop sat next to the AP. The laptop has a hard wired connection that when connected disables the Wireless adpater. Its a HP nc6400 laptop. I am not sure if it is a laptop setting or a GPO.

So the not seeing the SSID is fixed.

When I shutdown the switchport for the laptop. I did see the laptop pick up a DHCP address in the wireless scope I configured.

However this actually only worked once which was wierd.

I solved the gateway mismatch by actually putting the correct gateway address into ap-manager interface.

But I am still left with the message

Apr 17 11:37:49.080 spam_lrad.c:1107 LWAPP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: Ignoring discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (70) on interface (1) in L3 LWAPP mode

However this has been joined with another log entry;

Apr 17 21:05:38.734 1x_auth_pae.c:2510 DOT1X-3-MAX_EAP_RETRIES: Max EAP identity request retries (21) exceeded for client 00:1b:77:31:9d:72

The Mac address here is the Wireless Adapter of my test laptop.

The information of the WLC is

Product Identifier DescriptionAIR-WLC4402-25-K9
Version Identifier DescriptionV04

Possibly this is not what you are after but if you show me where to look that would be great.

It might be relevant but I have joined the AP to the switch with

switchport access vlan 70

switchport mode access

The config to the WLC is on a Gi port

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allow vlan 2,11,70,80

switchport mode trunk

I am wondering if I should have

switchport trunk native vlan 70 in here?

The interface config on the controller is

(Cisco Controller) >show interface SUMM

Interface Name                   Port Vlan Id  IP Address      Type    Ap Mgr Gu
est
-------------------------------- ---- -------- --------------- ------- ------ --
---
ap-manager                       1    2        10.45.50.111    Static  Yes    No

management                       1    2        10.45.50.110    Static  No     No

service-port                     N/A  N/A      10.44.48.214    Static  No     No

virtual                          N/A  N/A      1.1.1.1         Static  No     No

york-vlan70                      1    70       10.44.51.1      Dynamic No     No

Many thanks,

Neil

Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Sat, 04/17/2010 - 19:41
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I've seen this in HP laptops some time ago and it's call "LAN Switching".  By default, it's disabled on the BIOS. 

Neil Haswell Sun, 04/18/2010 - 12:03
User Badges:

You were absolutly right about the HP laptops.

I suspect I will be able to get a lot further in my wireless setup once I get a decent laptop configuration.

I will post a new subject if I am still having difficulty with the next stages but hopefully I can clear up those error messages when I have a decent laptop to work with.

Many thanks,

Neil

Leo Laohoo Sun, 04/18/2010 - 15:11
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks for the ratings Neil.

Actions

This Discussion