i recently purchased an SGE2010P 48 port switch for my home. i bought it because i figured as my network expands, and if i want to add VoIP, i won't have to toss a switch and rebuy. that being said i didn't realize it would this complicated. but maybe it isn't i am just trying to make it so. here is what i have:
• 7 Public IPs
• Barracuda Spam Filter (running my own email on xServe)
• 8 computers, 2 iPads, 2 PS3s, 2 XBOXs, 3 Printers, 3 Airport Extremes
I am currently using one public IP and using DHCP to assign all the devices in my home there IP with NAT. what do i need to do to set this switch up? i have looked everywhere and there isn't a concise clear explanation of what i need to do to make sure this thing is working correctly. Specifically:
• do i give the switch a public IP, have it get one using DHCP, or leave the default IP?
• do i need to setup a VLAN? if so why? how?
• are there any special settings that need to be made to have it work with the public and NAT addreses?
i may be overthinking this but i just don't want any issues when i slap this thing in to replace the unmanaged switch i am currently using, like not receiving or being able to get my email. all help is appreciated....