Views
Helpful
Replies

supervisor replacement cisco catalyst 6500 Switch

engbandar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi gentleman

I have this cisco catalyst 6500 Switch series 9 - slot it has a long history of supervisor fail down and errors so we will replacement by now supervisor .

Are there any steps to flow replacement supervisor and are there any commands to run it before replacement and remover the old one .

Thank you gentleman

I really appreciate help

6 Replies 6

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

There is still a lot of information needed before anyone can answer your question.

First, what supervisor are you running now?  Sup 1a, Sup 2, Sup 32, or Sup 720?

Are you running redundant supervisors?

Are you replacing the current supervisor with the same type, or are you upgrading to a VSS or Sup 720?

Are you running in hybrid mode (Cat-OS and IOS), or are you running in Native (IOS only)?

If you are upgrading from a sup2 or older, you may have to reconfigure your blades to accomidate supervisor 720s (they have to go in slots 5 & 6).

With this information, we can provide more help on your request.

Rob

hi geantlaman

ho are you buchholr

this is some answer you asked for

First, what supervisor are you running now?  Sup 1a, Sup 2, Sup 32, or Sup 720?

Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS            WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE

Are you running redundant supervisors?

no but I have redundant by used another switch

Are you replacing the current supervisor with the same type, or are you upgrading to a VSS or Sup 720?

no by the same current supervisor

Are you running in hybrid mode (Cat-OS and IOS), or are you running in Native (IOS only)?

IOS and used Cat6k MSFC 2 daughterboard  WS-F6K-MSFC2 IOS

If you are upgrading from a sup2 or older, you may have to reconfigure your blades to accomidate supervisor 720s (they have to go in slots 5 & 6).

thank you

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Kindly refer to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015504b.shtml and locate the exact problem and share.

With regards

Shailesh

hi shailesh.h

the linke does not work

I attached document for your ready reference. I think this might required CCO login to visit this page..

With regards,

Shailesh

Hi mates,

Let me take over from the last info provided.

I am about to replace a supervisor (RMA) but as long as I only have 1 chassis I wonder if you can advise me on how to do it safely.

The model is a WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE so slots 1 and 2 in a 6506 chassis.

In the old card I have a flash that contains the IOS so I will insert this into the new one but need to understand how I can safely boot it up without affecting the active.

boot system disk0:s222-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin

Directory of disk0:/

1  -rw-    33523716   Aug 9 2007 04:49:38 +01:00  s222-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF10.bin

64233472 bytes total (30707712 bytes free)

Thanks in advance

Rgds

alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card