cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail 8.x compatibility with Unity 7.x Server

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have not been able to test this combination and looked at the compatibility matrix but didn’t find my answer.

The customer is creating a new workstation build with Windows7 and wants to include viewmail in the build.  The matrix shows that they will need to use ViewMail 8.x for Windows 7 (exchange 2007).  This customer is currently using Unity 7.x and has no immediate plans to upgrade the servers to Unity 8x

I realize viewmail is usually backwards compatible however due to the differences in the workstations builds (XP v/ Windows7), I’m looking for clarification / confirmation that Viewmail 8.x on Windows 7 will work with Unity 7.x.  If not, can they install viewmail 7.x on the Windows7 build?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, 2 points:

1) Installing VMO 7 on Windows 7 is HIGHLY unlikely to be an option.  It's not a supported installation so unless you hacked it as a Vista install, I don't it will work.  Registry keys and such will be different and so forth.

2) Technically speaking, Unity 7x doesn't support the Windows 7 with VMO 8 client according to the matrix - this you've already seen. While it's possible this strictly won't work, I think you may find that it does.  I have not tested this to confirm in my lab but it certainly wouldn't hurt to load the VMO 8 client on the customer's Windows 7 build and then give a whirl for connecting to Unity 7x.  Any Unity 8x-specific features that are in VMO 8 will probably not work - but the basics just might.

Give it a shot.  You won't hurt anything.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

craigp
Level 4
Level 4

Maratimer -

Did you have any luck with this configuration?

I am in the same situation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: