Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

simple network for lab

Hi

I am trying to create a simple network with the available resource in my org..i network design is two different network should connect with each other. one network is 172.16 and another is 172.17..i tried using a 2600 router with one ethernet port and a layer 2 swtich 2924..i configure with router on stick method..but unable to achieve it as it seems that we need fast ethernet port on the router..we dont have a layer 3 switch for doing this..so is there any device can we use to achieve this connection can we buy a ordinary linksys router to do that..please suggest

karthik

13 Replies 13

Hi,

You're trying to setup a lab network with two different subnets?

What exactly do you want to do and what equipment do you have?

With this information we might help you out.

Federico.

yes lab setup with two different networks.

one server connected in each network and they want to communicate themselves.

i have a cisco 2600 router, cisco 2900 series switch,

For example, you can connect both servers to the 2900 switch and the switch to the 2600 router.

The router will communicate both networks, and you have each server on a separate VLAN (separate subnet).

Depending on what you want to accomplish, we can help you with recommendations.

Federico.

we want to make two servers communicate with each other..one server is in 172.17.0.0 network and other server is in 172.16.0.0 network..the available network devices are there is a cisco 2924c switch and a 2600 series router...

So, you can connect both servers to the switch (each one in a different VLAN).

The switch can have a single connection to the router and use Inter-VLAN routing on the router to route between VLANs. This should work.

If you have the Packet Tracer software from Cisco's academy or GNS3, you can as well try the setup (without using real equipment).

Federico.

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest to draw a simple topology diagram, device models in it, what you expect and challenges you

face...

This will help you to identify where exactly you stuck and what could be the next step to get rid of it..

With regards,

Shailesh

joshiaroon
Level 1
Level 1

for router on stick to work properly , make sure for three things

1. router interface should be fast ethernet or higher and switch port should be trunk

2. The physical Fe port doesnot have ip address use ip address on sub-interface.

3. the ip address on sub-interface should be on proper vlan and this ip add is  default gateway for that vlan.

I went to the packet tracer and selected a Ethernet port instead of a fast Ethernet port and it shows to be working

Great!

Remember to rate the threat if you found it helpful....

If it works on Packet Tracer, you know that you can use the same configuration on real devices to make them work.

Federico.

Well it is not working in the real time I used a Cisco 2600 router with one Ethernet port and 2950 switch on the other side but not working used the same config given in packet tracer but couldn’t able to do it

Mmmm... I see...

If you got it working on Packet Tracer, you should be able to use the exact same configuration on the real equipment.

Can you make sure the configuration is fine, and that you have the basic settings correct? (IP connectivity, interfaces up/up, correct cables, etc)?

Federico.

Could you, Please paste the 'show version' and 'show run' from the router. Also 'show run' from the switch.

You need atleast 'IP Plus' featureset on 2600 router in order to get the intervlan routing/router-on-stick working. Please see the sample config below :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

regards,

-amit singh

May be you are right I am trying to do this with 2610 router which is not listed in the url you have given

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card