cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - VPN Tunnel Question

julieaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have two small sites (remote site and local site), both with RV042 routers. I have created a VPN tunnel and have connected both sites. From the remote site I can browse to my local site server shares, but from the local site I can not connect to any windows shares on the remote site. I can ping the computers at the remote site, but network shares are not found. I setup forwarding to the specific IP Address, but still can not connect to the share. Can you tell me what else I am missing? I have added the IP to my local host file, but still can not see share.

5 Replies 5

Hi,

So you can PING the server, but not do a network share for instance?

Can you connect to the server via any other protocol, for example Remote Desktop or any other application?

I assume there are not any filters on the RV042s for the VPN tunnel correct?

Federico.

I can ping the workstation, and I can establish a RDP connection to that IP as well. When I attempt to access the shares though, I get network path not found. Also a net view of that workstation fails. There are no filters like you mentioned. I just wondering if I had to do port forwarding for Microsoft Shares? Or something else?

Can you access the shares via IP?

If the shares are failing when using names, could be NetBIOS not passing through the tunnel.

Federico.

I tried both by name , and by IP , neither one seem to work.

Things to check:
Try changing the MTU and set it to 1300
Any software firewall on the machine itself?
Can you try mapping the drive using Windows Explorer-Tools-Map Network Drive and select the drive letter?

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: