cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Mobility Manager

charl
Level 1
Level 1

I know with CUCM 6.x and upwards you have the mobility function as part of CUCM (mobilty function = single number reach).

Does the Mobilty Manager work on the same principal and offer the same or does it have a few extra functions?

Let's say I take a call to my mobile number while enroute to my office thus using the mobile provider netwrok. As soon as I enter my office, the office wireless network is in range (i have the client installed on my mobile phone), can i do call handover and if so, how do i do this handover?

1. Can I only do it from the mobile provider network to my office wireless network

or

2. can I do the handover from my mobile phone to my deskphone? (if this is possible, how does the handover work?)

thnx

charl

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I do not know much about Mobility Manager, but I beleive that the functionality to switch between cell network and WiFi network is included in Mobility Manager.  At least, I confident it is not included in CUCM out of the box.

As for switching between the cell phone and the deskphone when using single number reach, I can answer.  The way it works is this:  If someone calls your deskphone number, and you have a remote destination (ie cell phone) configured and enabled, the call will be forwarded to your cell phone.  However, it is still going through your IP network and is using (usually) 2 PSTN lines.  This means that your deskphone will indicate, via a red light, that you are on a Mobility call on your cell phone.  You can 'transfer' the call back to your deskphone by just hanging up the cell phone and pressing the line button on the deskphone with 2 or 3 seconds.  It is suprisingly seamless. You can also do the reverse (transfer a call to your cell phone) via a softkey.  The advantage of doing this instead of transfering is that you never have to put the caller on hold.  In fact, the caller is not aware anything has happened.

View solution in original post

Hi

All the functionality from Mobility Manager was written into CCM6 and subsequent versions.

It allows you to do deskphone handover (hang up the mobile, and then hit 'resume' on your deskphone, and voila! - this requires that the phone originally arrived at your office, and was sent to your mobile using the single-number-reach function. Probably also works if you've done a dial-via-office; not sure off the top of my head as no one seems to use that function here in the UK).

As far as I'm aware you can't get the Mobility feature to do handover between the 'corporate' and 'ip' sides of a dual mode phone - at least not easily or seamlessly on the handsets I've played with.

Handover from mobile to office wireless... well... I believe it's possible; but apparently requires something from the mobile provider that we don't get in the UK. Perhaps someone else has experience of this?

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hey, Aaron is correct.  The Mobility Manager features are the code that was pulled into CUCM 6x.  The dual mode handoff - cellular to wireless - isn't really there yet.  Cisco has some products that are working towards this (lookup Cisco Mobile Intelligent Routing Solution) but I still don't think they do what you want and if they do, I've never seen anyone with this product in my years of experience.  So, cellular to wireless is probably out of the picture for the most part at the moment.  However, cellular to IP phone transfer/handoff is achievable thru Single Number Reach via Mobility.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

10 Replies 10

I do not know much about Mobility Manager, but I beleive that the functionality to switch between cell network and WiFi network is included in Mobility Manager.  At least, I confident it is not included in CUCM out of the box.

As for switching between the cell phone and the deskphone when using single number reach, I can answer.  The way it works is this:  If someone calls your deskphone number, and you have a remote destination (ie cell phone) configured and enabled, the call will be forwarded to your cell phone.  However, it is still going through your IP network and is using (usually) 2 PSTN lines.  This means that your deskphone will indicate, via a red light, that you are on a Mobility call on your cell phone.  You can 'transfer' the call back to your deskphone by just hanging up the cell phone and pressing the line button on the deskphone with 2 or 3 seconds.  It is suprisingly seamless. You can also do the reverse (transfer a call to your cell phone) via a softkey.  The advantage of doing this instead of transfering is that you never have to put the caller on hold.  In fact, the caller is not aware anything has happened.

Hi

All the functionality from Mobility Manager was written into CCM6 and subsequent versions.

It allows you to do deskphone handover (hang up the mobile, and then hit 'resume' on your deskphone, and voila! - this requires that the phone originally arrived at your office, and was sent to your mobile using the single-number-reach function. Probably also works if you've done a dial-via-office; not sure off the top of my head as no one seems to use that function here in the UK).

As far as I'm aware you can't get the Mobility feature to do handover between the 'corporate' and 'ip' sides of a dual mode phone - at least not easily or seamlessly on the handsets I've played with.

Handover from mobile to office wireless... well... I believe it's possible; but apparently requires something from the mobile provider that we don't get in the UK. Perhaps someone else has experience of this?

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hey, Aaron is correct.  The Mobility Manager features are the code that was pulled into CUCM 6x.  The dual mode handoff - cellular to wireless - isn't really there yet.  Cisco has some products that are working towards this (lookup Cisco Mobile Intelligent Routing Solution) but I still don't think they do what you want and if they do, I've never seen anyone with this product in my years of experience.  So, cellular to wireless is probably out of the picture for the most part at the moment.  However, cellular to IP phone transfer/handoff is achievable thru Single Number Reach via Mobility.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Hailey

Interesting... assumed it was just us non-US folks that got to explain to customers every week that mobile GSM-.11 handoff doesn't actually exist.

Aaron

Well to be fair, there are only a couple true dual mode phones and

they ate Nokia, I believe. However, I've never actually seen one in

demo or in production.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:11 AM, aaronharrison

charl
Level 1
Level 1

Basically I want to know if hand-over between mobile & ip phone is only possible when using Single number reach?

thnx

charl

So you want to be able to take a call on your cell phone, that came in on a number owned by your cellular provider, and be able to transfer that to your IP phone?  I think that would only be possible through a function that your cellular provider would have to enable.  I can't even imagine a client running on a smartphone would be able to do that, because it would require two seperate lines on the phone.  The call would have to come in on a line that is controlled and monitored by the CUCM.

Hi

Yeah - the standard way is to just publish your desk phone number. Allow SNR to fork the call out to your mobile.

Then you can hand it off...

By default, calls made from your mobile go direct (i.e. straight from mobile to end point, not via the office) so no handoff for calls initiated from your mobile...

Regards

Aaron

CUMC (mobile client) has a feature called DVO (Dial Via Office).

When you use DVO, the call actually goes to your office CUCM.  CUCM then makes the call for you.  In this way, CUCM was able to control the call.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Yea, this is like good ol' mobile voice access...you have to really

consider trunk utilization here because every call is forked out to

the PSTN ... Which is how Mobility works as well. You can eat up a PRI

quickly depending on who you give such features to and how often they

are used.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:17 AM, htluo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: