Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Syslog

silverfoxx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I have configured the 6509 with the syslog setting but I am only getting logs saying "configured from console" and nothing else.

can anyone help me out there.

9 Replies 9

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

With show logging you can see the syslog levels are being used for logging to various destinations like console, buffer, server.

You can adjust the buffer logging with logging buffered . Here I usually use informational.

Can you paste the "show logging" (only the settings part)?

Hope this helps, rate if does.

Krisztian

I understand you completely and this is what I have in my setting, but still I am not receving traffic logs only configured from console

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)
    Console logging: disabled
    Monitor logging: disabled
    Buffer logging: level informational, 0 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled    Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)
    Count and timestamp logging messages: enabled
    Trap logging: level informational, 406 message lines logged
        Logging to 1.2.3.4, 13 message lines logged, xml disabled,
               filtering disabled
        Logging to 1.2.3.6, 9 message lines logged, xml disabled,
               filtering disabled

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Specifiy the below:-

logging trap <>
logging source-interface <>
logging <>

which source-interface

The Layer3 IP interface that can connect to the syslog server ip address.

i did that..nothing happening

What syslog server are using? Confim it is lisening on UDP 514, confirm you are not blocking syslog messages to the server.

Hi

Kiwi syslog and symantec central log management application SIM, and both a listening on UDP port 514

@ the moment i am getting only 2 types of message on syslog server

1. configured from console by me on vty 0 (ip address)

2. linkproto-sp-5-updown: line protocol on interface xx , change state to up

nothing else is shown. where as i want to see all traffic just like when i enable syslog on ASA with trap informational I start getting all traffic including alot of other information.

Hi,

I'm afraid you will not be able to see all the traffic flowing through the switch like you see in ASA.

Only certain conditions will trigger syslog messages but the normal data flow will not be logged.

The other option is what I would not use is to set up acl with log option on the required interface/vlan and if the acl is hit syslog message is being sent, but that impacts the throughput of the device and can cause high CPU utilization.

Hope this helps

Krisztian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card