cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE - Latency

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Is TE able to detect high latency on a circuit? I understand is solve problems like efficient use of all avaliable bandwidth based on RSVP but how about long distant links with increasing latency over time? Will TE detect that?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Francisco,

the answer should be negative.

With MPLS TE you can associate resources to links (RSVP bandwidth ) and you can run a modified version of OSPF or ISIS that takes in account current usage of these resources over the links, but not performance related info about the links.

For that you should look at OER / Performance routing where you can "test" the links over time and you can decide to stop to use links that are beyond a threshold.

And of course QoS can be of great help in providing better treatment to some traffic classes (so bounded latency and limited jitter)

What kind of WAN links are you meaning ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Some of the links are EoSDH, STM-1, differ in bandwidth and latency. When we detect high latency, we manaully have to cost out OSPF (This is sometimes a painful process for us). We are desperate to us something in prod that will adaptively and dynamicly make routing adjustments when high latency, jitter, packet loss is detected.

I know understand MPLS TE will not detect link performance issue but might be interested in FRR though!.

I would like to test and validate OER. Have you used it before? You reckon OER is the tool for us?

Francisco.

Hello Francisco,

I have no direct experience with OER but it could be the right tool for your scenario

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks.

Francisco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: