Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA9000+SPA400 call routing

williamkorb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recently installed an SPA9000 & SPA400. I do not have an ITSP, I simply have multiple PSTN lines connected to the SPA400 on three separate phone numbers (and no hunt groups from the telco).

What I would like to do is configure the call routing so that if a call comes in on a particular line, it is routed to a particular extension. In the event that there is no answer at that extension, I would then like for the call to end up in that extension's SPA400 voicemail box. Also note that I have shared line appearences configured for two of the extensions (the first two). For example:

PortPhone #Extension
1555-1001101
2555-1234102
4555-7890104

I have attempted various contact list call routing rules, but I cannot seem to get the desired result.

Has anyone else setup this kind of configuration? If you'd show me an example call routing rule, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Paulsen
Level 1
Level 1

In your SPA9000 Contact List you should do this, to route specific lines to specific extensions. (Note that the FXO_Port_ID_n names are defaults in the SPA400)

FXO_Port_ID_1:101 | FXO_Port_ID_2:102 | FXO_Port_ID_3:104

Then in the each phone, you need to set the call forward no answer to vm. (voice mail)

Of course, this is the way it's supposed to work, but there are so many bugs in the SPA400/9000 you might need to find a hacked-up work-around, or you might even need to install an older version of the SPA400 firmware.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

William Paulsen
Level 1
Level 1

In your SPA9000 Contact List you should do this, to route specific lines to specific extensions. (Note that the FXO_Port_ID_n names are defaults in the SPA400)

FXO_Port_ID_1:101 | FXO_Port_ID_2:102 | FXO_Port_ID_3:104

Then in the each phone, you need to set the call forward no answer to vm. (voice mail)

Of course, this is the way it's supposed to work, but there are so many bugs in the SPA400/9000 you might need to find a hacked-up work-around, or you might even need to install an older version of the SPA400 firmware.

That worked great, thanks!

OK, next question: is there a way I can route outbound calls to specific lines on the SPA400? Is that somehow configured in the PBX Parameters->Call Routing rules? For example, I want to map outbound calls to the same ports that I did for inbound calls (e.g., x101 uses FXO_Port_ID_1, x102 uses FXO_Port_ID_2, etc.).

My current rule sends everything to the SPA400, but not to a specific port - current setting is (<:L1>9xx.).

Thanks,

Bill

I don't think it's possible to route outbound PSTN calls.

Hmmm...seems like this might be a common scenario.

For example, a company has multiple business units (DBAs). When making an outbound call, you'd want to route the call to the PSTN line that each business unit is associated with so that the caller ID information reflects the identity of the DBA that the caller is associated with.

There is a section in the SPA9000 admin guide entitled "Call Routing Group Line Preference". This only shows examples of routing at the line level, but not the port level. I'll try playing around with this and see if I can get this to work the way I want.

Thanks,

Bill

Well, no luck.

On the SPA9000 Voice->SIP page in the PBX Parameters section, I put the user ID in question (102) in the Group 1 User ID field. I then put FXO_Port_ID_2 in the Group 1 Line field. That change seems to have no effect, as it always uses FXO_Port_ID_1 any time that it's not busy.

There is another solution, but not one I'm thrilled about: I could buy a second SPA400 and connect the second line to a port on that unit, then set up a second dial plan (e.g., <8:>xx.) and assign it to that line. However, that means I'd have to cough up another $250, and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since I'm not using all four ports on my current SPA400.

Very disappointing.

Bill

Aha! It is possible! Here's how.

The key to figuring this out was actually detailed in the Configuring a Call Routing Rule section of the SPA9000 Voice System Administration Guide (pg. 79 of the PDF). In the syntax explanation, it listed port as one of the components of a routing rule. A bit farther down in that section (pg. 80) it gives two examples that specify how to select specific FXO ports for a particular dial plan.

Based on that kernel of wisdom, I was able to achieve the desired result by making the following configuration changes in the SPA9000 admin UI.

Section: Voice->SIP->PBX Parameters
Field: Call Routing Rule
Value: (<:L1{1,3}>9xx.|<:L1{2}>8xx.)

Section: Voice->SIP->PBX Phone Parameters
Field: Phone Dial Plan
Value: (<*97:vmm>|9,[3469]11S0|9,[2-9]xxxxxx|9,[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,011xx.|xxx.|[2345678]|8,[3469]11S0|8,[2-9]xxxxxx|8,[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|8,1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|8,011xx.|xxx.|[2345678])

Section: Voice->Line 1->Dial Plan
Field: Dial Plan
Value: (<9:>xx.|<8:>xx.)

So I had to define a separate dial plan for each set of lines that I wanted to use as the outbound line. Since ports 1 & 3 are used by the same company, I put them on the 9 routing digit and the third line (port 2) on its own routing digit (8). Now when I make a call, 9,555-1234 will dial out on either FXO port 1 or 3, and 8,555-1234 will dial out on FXO port 2.

Excellent. :)

Hopefully my pain will save someone else from the same difficulty.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: