cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

firewall active-active

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

I am trying to understand why ASA firewall doesnt do loadbalancing or loadsharing in normal active-standby mode.

why does it need to be in context mode to be run as an active-active firewall.

Appreciate all your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suthomas1 wrote:

I am trying to understand why ASA firewall doesnt do loadbalancing or loadsharing in normal active-standby mode.

It's important to understand that within each context one firewall is active and one firewall is standby. So if you had 2 contexts - C1 and C2

fw1 is active for C1 and standby for C2

fw2 is active for C2 and standby for C1

note fw1 & fw2 cannot both be active for the same context.

So in an active/standby mode with only one context you cannot do load-balancing because only one of the firewalls can be active per context.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suthomas1 wrote:

It's important to understand that within each context one firewall is active and one firewall is standby. So if you had 2 contexts - C1 and C2

fw1 is active for C1 and standby for C2

fw2 is active for C2 and standby for C1

note fw1 & fw2 cannot both be active for the same context.

So in an active/standby mode with only one context you cannot do load-balancing because only one of the firewalls can be active per context.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: