Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN hub router sizing recommendations

tdorsey123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

So I was curious if someone has a rule of thumb for DMVPN hub router sizing.  Something on the order of if you have x remote sites you need at least an 1800/1900 for your hub router, or at y number of sites you need to step up to a 2800/2900, etc etc. I don't have a feel for how CPU intensive being the DMVPN hub is.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tdorsey123,

in the solution reference network design there are some tables about unicast forwarding results

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/DMVPN_4_Phase2.html#wp74163

the document can be useful

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Looking for a more recent performance doc (this one is 2 yrs old) for a hub and spoke DMVPN configuration with a 2900 series at the core instead of a 2800 or 7200 series.

Would I be safe is taking the numbers for a 28xx and multipluing it by 2 for the same 29xx numbered router?

Would I be safe is taking the numbers for a 28xx and multipluing it by 2 for the same 29xx numbered router? NO

The Giuseppe's list is one of the most updated. there is one document more you can google "router performance cisco" but that doc is 3 Nov 2009. and it is the last version of that doc because th group doing that job was dimissed.

Don't do assumptions as the ones you meant to do with 28xx and 29xx because with the new licensing systems ther are new parameters you need to take into account.

HTH

Alessio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card