Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a new Layer3 Switch

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am configuring a new Layer3 switch.There is no redudant Layer3 switch . i have few queries

1)  i still need to make this switch as Spanning Tree Root ?

2) While creating VLANs do i need to give IP address to every VLAN. I am creating 3 vlans over here.

regards

Neo

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cisco@learn wrote:

Hi,

i am configuring a new Layer3 switch.There is no redudant Layer3 switch . i have few queries

1)  i still need to make this switch as Spanning Tree Root ?

2) While creating VLANs do i need to give IP address to every VLAN. I am creating 3 vlans over here.

regards

Neo

Neo

1) If the L3 switch is going to the do the inter-vlan routing and has multiple L2 access-layer switches connected to it then yes make it the STP root.

2) Yes, if you want to be able to route between vlans. I'm assuming you are talking about the L3 vlan interfaces on the L3 switch ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

1) Shall i make STP root for all the VLANS ?

2) Yes, i am talking abt SVI over here. so for intervlan routing i need to give IP address to each VLAN ?

regards

Neo

cisco@learn wrote:

Hi Jon,

1) Shall i make STP root for all the VLANS ?

2) Yes, i am talking abt SVI over here. so for intervlan routing i need to give IP address to each VLAN ?

regards

Neo

Neo

1) Yes if all your access-layer switches are connecting to this L3 switch. STP root is usually given to the switch at the centre of your switch network and that's why the L3 switch that does inter-vlan routing is often chosen

2) Yes, each SVI needs an IP address

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card