Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE ft track-host method

jonagyula
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

does anyone know, how the ace performs ft track-host probes? How does it test, ICMP, arp, whatever? How often tests, what are the failure detection conditions?

For example in the following situation:

ft track host GW
  track-host 10.1.201.14
  priority 60

ft group 1
  peer 1
  peer priority 50
  associate-context Admin
  inservice

When we shut down the ACE 4710 uplink interface on the swtich, where it could reach the gw (10.1.210.14), no failover happens.

(I know that I can define own health probes, but I become curious about track-host command, while there are no definitions in the documentation about it's testing method)

Regards:

jonagy

2 Replies 2

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Jonagy,

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but let me see.

When configuring your ACE for Host tracking, you would first configure one or more probes to be applied to the Host Tracking configuration.  Notice that Step 4 of the Configuring Tracking and Failure Detection for a Host or Gateway is not shown as Optional.  You can configure the probes with the type and  interval that best suites your environment.

ft track host TRACK_GATEWAY

track-host 192.161.100.1

probe GATEWAY_TRACK1 priority 10

probe GATEWAY_TRACK2 priority 20

priority 50

Hope this helps,

Sean

Hi Sean,

yes it helps. Formerly I think I misunderstood the guide. I thought the track-host command is a general purpose gw tracking tommand/tool, and you can define your own probes, what is a different story. I thought the probes can be used standalone, while in individual probe configuration you can add the host as well, and therefore the track-host is unneccesary for using probes. I was wrong. Now tTesting with track-host + probe setup.

regards:

jonagy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: