Views
Helpful
Replies

Corporate Directory CUCM 7.X- Ideas for Multi Tenant Solution

mdury
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have One Call Manager Cluster setup with several different customers. We would like to allow customers to search for users inside of only their Company. Is anyone doing this on CUCM 6/7?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Not quite that, but similar things.

You could use AD to get around these scenarios; you can create a per customer XML directory which links to each customers' AD, and point their phones at that service.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

I was getting ready to start tinkering with that concept. i saw some pretty informative video on Blindhog.

One of my concerns is maintenance of the Contacts post installation. In the scenario you proposed, I believe we would have to maybe use LDAP to sync the users from CM to the AD.

Does that sound about right>?

Thanks

Hi

No...

I would probably leave the CCM using the internal user DB. That way you have control; you don't want to give any control to the customers over what happens to your cluster, as that may easily impact other customers.

For example, I don't know what you use for your username format on CCM... but if you link to AD, you have to use one of a few fields:

sAMAccountName

telephoneNumber

etc..

Normally with AD, the sAMAccountName is unique - with 5 customers, it may well not be. If they overlap (i.e. two users named john in different companies) you then have a problem.

The directory on the phones and the directory in CCM (whether statically configured, or LDAP synced) are usually one and the same, but this doesn't have to be the case.

You can create a directory service, which is configured to look at Customer 1's AD.

Create another for Cust 2.

Etc...

Then point each companies phones' Directories URL at their directory.

You would have some other concerns:

- If you host this at your premise, you'd need access to their AD to do the search

- You could allow them to host their own directory service, if you're happy to do that.

- You need to write the directory service (or steal one, see this URL for one I posted up: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3026015#3026015)

They would need to ensure whatever LDAP field you use are populated with correct numbers, but then.. they'd probably need to do that anyway. Of course, you may have customers that don't use AD...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Thanks for all of the detail. I am going to use the sample files you provided and test it out.

I am also interested in the solution charles is talking about. we are usign something similar in our 4.2 Cluster currently

MD

Hi

Yep - that's a good solution as well I think; I've just not got round to (or got a reason to) write a directory based on the CM user DB via AXL.

Aaron

We are doing that very thing right now on CCM 6.1.4.  We have a customized ASP script that builds the XML used to display the directory.  We control it using the Department field in the CCM User Page.  Each organization has a 2 letter code, so we prefix each department entry with that code. The asp searches based on the input provided, plus the first two characters of the department.  Works great for us.  I'm actually working on an enhancement that will allow search by department and listing the departments of users (after stripping off the org code, I mean.)

Do you have any experience with Javascript or ASP?

Ccharlebois,

I do not have any experience with Java, but i am interested in the method you talked about.

I am curious, how is your application aware of the User ID of the phone making the query>?

Phone Device---> Associated to User,

Then only query other users with the same Department field?

MD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: