cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

21 mask network on wireless

stevechapman_2
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 4 controllers with multiple vlans configure for one ssid.  The vlans are group by building and each vlan is a /24 network.   I have been asked to create one vlan per controller with a /21 network.  I am worried about the size of this network and impact it will have on my wireless users.   Do I have an issue with possible packet collision in wireless?  Also I currently don’t allow wireless users, via the check box on the controller, to talk to each other will this stop the broadcast issues with such a large network? 

3 Replies 3

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve

I do know that there is a University in the USA using /21 on their wireless:

950 APs
Peaks of 1000-1300 concurrent users
/21 network is assigned
About 50-60 packets per second of Broadcast

jilahbg
Level 1
Level 1

We are talking about different kind of broadcasts/collission:

RF: Each AP talks at a certain channel to all associated clients. Only one can talk at the same time. Thats why it´s not a good idea to have too many clients per AP.

IP: An IP-network is a IP broadcast-domain. That means that clients that sends broadcasts (l2 or l3) talks to all other devices within the same broadcast-domain. However, when talking about Cisco WLC-solution the IP-network size is irrellevant as long as the wlc is configured the right way. You can configure the system to not allow client to client-traffic as well as not allowing broadcasts. That´s why you can have thousands of clients in the same IP-network when using Ciscos leightweight wireless solution.

Br Jimmy

I currently have the peer to peer blocking set to drop so this stops client to client right?  Does this block the broadcast or is there something else I need to configure like broadcast forwarding?

Note:  I am running version 6.0.182.0 layer 3 mode.

thanks for your help

Steve Chapman

LAN Engineer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card