WCS Error - Position of Map Conflicts with Parent

Answered Question
Apr 21st, 2010
User Badges:

Hello All -

I have a large scale drawing of a floor plan for a building.  I have added it to my campus and started adding APs.  When I saw the prediciton model, I realized I had forgotten to properly scale the drawing.  When I attempt to scale it, I get an error message stating:

"Error:The given Width, Height or the position of Map conflicts with the parent(Building or Campus) Width 846.2 and Length 655.3. Please increase the size of the parent(Building or Campus) through the edit page and/or make sure Map is positioned correctly within parent through map edit page."

I really don't know how to fix that.  I have increased the size of the building to match the 846.2/655.3, but then the box showing the building is HUGE on my campus map (Google Earth shot) and I still get the error.

Regards,
Scott

Attachment: 
Correct Answer by sschmidt about 7 years 2 months ago

Step 1.  Go to Monitor > Maps > Click Building > click the pulldown and edit building > Write down the dimensions of the building.

Step 2.  Go to Monitor > Maps > Choose floor > click the pulldown and edit floor area.

Make sure that the Horizontal/Vertical span is the same or smaller than what you got from step 1.

The error comes from the floor being bigger than the building.  As a best practive I tend to place all maps at 0,0.

Let me know if this helps.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Lucien Avramov Wed, 04/21/2010 - 09:59
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Scott, can you please set your logs to trace reproduce the issue and upload here the logs.zip file?

Correct Answer
sschmidt Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:09
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Step 1.  Go to Monitor > Maps > Click Building > click the pulldown and edit building > Write down the dimensions of the building.

Step 2.  Go to Monitor > Maps > Choose floor > click the pulldown and edit floor area.

Make sure that the Horizontal/Vertical span is the same or smaller than what you got from step 1.

The error comes from the floor being bigger than the building.  As a best practive I tend to place all maps at 0,0.

Let me know if this helps.

Scott Pickles Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:25
User Badges:

Ok, so I was trying to size the building to EXACTLY what the error was specifying for the required new size, and it MUST be larger than the dimensions of the largest floor.  I made it a bit bigger, and now things look good.  However, the green square around the building on the campus map is HUGE and way out of proportion for my campus Google Earth map.  How do I fix that since the size of that square represents the size of the building?  Do I artificially make my Google Earth map larger?  If I do that, you will hardly see the pinpoints for the locations on the Google Earth map.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Pickles Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:30
User Badges:

I scaled the campus map up, and it actually doesn't look too bad.  However, the building square is now the opposite (too small).  Why the engineers of WCS insist on the size of that square being tied to the actual dimensions of the building is beyond me.  Seems a bit ridiculous and unnecessary.

Scott Pickles Wed, 04/21/2010 - 10:56
User Badges:

Ok, so for the sake of consistency, how would I go about scaling the campus size such that all of my building names fit inside the actual square instead of getting cut off and looking weird?

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network