cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tengig port err-disable at start up

dvanhaaren
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cat 3560-E switch the I'm upgrading from the twingig ports to the 10gig ports. When the switch boots up the ports go into err-disable. I haven't had much luck finding any docx on this.  I don't have the fiber to connect it up yet so I'm wondering if that's the issue or do I need a command to enable these gbics. Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

flash:c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-37.se1.bin

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dvanhaaren,

what if you perform a shut/no shut cycle of affected interface? This allows to recover from an error disabled state.

Can you check in the log buffer with sh log what is the reason for the errordisable, you should see a message and the device should tell you briefly for what reason it is disabling the port

I've looked at C3560E HW installation guide and doesn't mention any specific command for moving from twingiga to 10GE X2 it presents it as plug and play.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/hardware/installation/guide/HIGINSTL.html#wp1313509

>> When you install or remove the converter module,  the mode on the switch changes from 10-Gigabit Ethernet to Gigabit  Ethernet or the reverse. During this mode change, data traffic on the  other switch uplink ports (X2 transceiver or SFP module ports) might  temporarily stop. When you install or remove an X2 transceiver or SFP  module, traffic delay does not occur.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

Ya, we've tried just about all the commands we could think of. When the router boots it gives us PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected.....putting Te0/1 in err-disable state and that's where it stays. This is a new switch we're setting up so it's not in production yet. Still leaning towards an enbling command like you would see for a wic card or may be just plugging in the fiber if we can ever get some. I was just curious if anybody had seen this problem before. I have not been able to find any documentation on the 10gig gbic that shows any startup commands.

David

Hello David,

other colleagues have reported in some threads problems on specific switch platforms with specific version of the optical transceiver.

So I would suggest you to report this information here in the forums, someone may be of help

Also if you have other optical tranceivers with a different part number or revision number it may be wise to try to use it to see if it is accepted

You can also try to use the search I remember one or two threads about SFP versions and issues with different versions.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the result of the following commands:

sh inventory; and
sh idprom interface ten

Hi Leo

Here's the info for the commands plus sh ver.

Are you 100% sure this is a Cisco transceiver?

Running the "sh idprom" command on one of our working 10Gb links shows

Package Identifier OUI  :0xC09820
Transceiver Vendor OUI  :0x0
Transceiver vendor name :CISCO-PROLABS
Part number provided by transceiver vendor       :X2-10GB-LR
Revision level of part number provided by vendor :00
Vendor serial number           :PR38000129
Vendor manufacturing date code :2007091200

this shows a different vendor OUI and name

Searching google on the part FTLX1341E2-C1 indicates it is an OEM part.

Hi Mark

They came with the Cisco equipment and have Cisco numbers. Probably another acquisition. We are looking at the code, looks like we may have fallen a couple revs short of where we should be. After the upgrade I'll have status.

Thanx all

That's the solution. We needed 122-53 code instead of the 122-37. Who would have though on a Cisco device you neede to upgrade the code.

All is well. Thanx every one for the input.

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco