Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN

amit.bhagat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am trying to understand Dynamic VLAN assignment using VMPS. The VMPS Client switch is a 2924XL with proper IOS. It is configured for VMPS as follows-

vmps server 192.168.3.2     ! Location of VMPS Server...confirmed reachability from Switch to the Server

vmps reconfirm 90

vmps retry 4

The VMPS Server is ready to accept the request.

The issue is as soon as I configure the switchport, the Switch puts all the switchports in Blocking state except the Trunk port. The Switch does not recognise the Host connected on the port when configured for Dyanmic VLAN assignment. If I configure the switch for static VLAN assignment, it works as desired. The topology is very simple and is attached here.

Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Thiyagu VG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Amit,

Can you please give us the output of "#sh spanning-tree vlan *** int ***(end station) portfast".

As you know already, the output should show us "VLAN***        enabled".

because spanning-tree PortFast mode is enabled by  default on dynamic ports.

Regards,

ThiyaguVG.

ycae
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Once you have configured your ports as dynamic you have to disconnect the devices from the switch and connect them back. we were facing this problem too. The other option is that you execute a shutdown on all your access ports and then switch them back on (no shut) and then it should work.

I hope I could help.

Yves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card