Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing IP Addresses of CM7.x Sub/Pub that's already in production

erickscisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in the middle of a building move and IP schema restructure.  In the interim we are also planing on upgrading CM 4.23 to CM 7.x. If we decide to migrate now to CM7 will it be a problem changing the IP addresses of the SUB and PUB later down the line when we finalize our IP schemes?

I heard that it will not be a problem to change it but can create many problems down the line and eventualy paralize the system? Which is it? What kind of things should we look out for? Should we just do the upgrade after the IP scheme is finalized?

Thanks all!!

10 Replies 10

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can change the IP of a CM7 server easy enough - there is a document linked here, as long as you backup first, and ensure you follow all the steps to the letter, you'll be fine:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_2/ipchange/ipchg612.html

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Changing the IP Address and even the Hostname of the CUCM from 6.1.2 onwards. The main things you need to make sure is any 3rd party apps which point to CUCM via IP Address, Extension Mobility, IP Services etc on CUCM. The other issue is the Option150 pointing to the TFTP server - need to change it to the new IP Address and CUCM backup`s- back up before you do the change and after the change back up again as the old Backup will not work due to the change . Also any TSP clients as in Switchboard, Voice Recording etc need to change as well

erickscisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you aaronharrison, iptuser55.  So can I assume that you two have succesfully done this before and changed the IP address of a sub and pub with no implications?

I'm sure it can be done easily, but my worries are things happening later on.

Hi,

I will request you to test with all possible options in a lab, as a pilot plan and then attempt in production set up.

You may install CCM 7 on VMWare machine pretty easily and by copying database you may build almost exact replica of the server.

All the Best!

HTH,

Regards

Sam Wilson

Hi

Yes, done this a few times recently.

I had a node rename fall over badly on about a year or so ago on 6.1, but recently had no problems.

Regards

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

When you changed it, how soon did it fail? What were the symptoms?

Thanks

I've done this multiple times on several production systems with issue for customers.  You just need to make sure to follow the steps in the documentation Aaron gave a link for and also to reboot each server after every step.  Make sure the hostnames are propagated via CLI when changed and you'll be golden.

Read, plan, and prep and you'll be good to go.

Hailey

When you do the change, carry out the IP address change first via the GUI on the CUCM web pages, then access the CLI and do then change there next otherwise it causes problem. Once you can access the servers I would suggest balancing. Then do a utlis dbreplication status or  do it via the Reporting option on the GUI to check everything is ok. I`ve regularly changed them in a lab as part of other testing without any issues 

Symptoms were DB not starting etc. In fairness, it was the first release that supported hostname change; I've had no problems since.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Erick,

Just to add a note and doc to the great tips so far from Aaron, IPT, Sam and Hailey

(+5 points each my friends for your excellent contributions)

If you want to do this on your 4.2 system before moving forward with your

upgrade to 7.x it's also supported. We did this on 4.2(3) a few years ago

Changing the IP Address for Cisco CallManager

From this  excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094601.shtml

Hope  this helps!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: