cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 300 IP Cameras using Cisco Switches

quackem88
Level 1
Level 1

Require help on a Case study. (Can only use Cisco switch)

Description:

This is a setup required for 300 security cameras.

So availability and redundancy is important.

I have calculate the bandwidth using [URL="http://www.jvsg.com/download/IPDesignToolSetup.zip"]this software[/URL].

If each camera is set to 5MP and H.264-10, Bandwidth is 12.08Mbit
So 300 cameras will require at least 3624.96Mbits in total.

(correct me if i am wrong)

Each NVR has 32 port.

It will be just connecting within a LAN.
Here is the brief 2 possible design I have draft out, but I am not sure which model and series of cisco switch to be use??

Design 1:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l301/changchun/ciscodesign1.png

Design 2:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l301/changchun/ciscodesign2.png

Please advise which model and series can be used for this 2 two of design.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chun,

you need to accomodate 300 cameras and 32 ports for each network video recorder.

data flows are from cameras to network video recorder ports.

The amount of traffic per port at port connected to cameras is not huge and total traffic from cameras exceed GE links

48 * 12,08 =       ?? in any case less then     < 1 Gbps

You can deploy a hierarchical network design with an access layer made of switches with fixed configuration 48 ports and GE uplinks like a C3750 with 48 ports or  a 2960 with 48 ports (if it exists)

Each access layer switch needs to have two uplinks to distribution switches

And you need 300/48 switches => 7 switches     => 7 GE uplinks on each distribution switches

Distribution switches should be two and should be able to connect to access layer switches and to NVR that requires 32 ports each.

Different solutions are possible:

instead od deploying 7 standalone switches with 48 ports each you could use two modular C4507 equipped with  WS-4548 48 10/100/1000 linecards

the distribution switches can be two C3750 E, eventually configured and connected as a stack, to allow to use both uplinks of each access layer switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

shailesh.h
Level 1
Level 1

There are couple of options

Option 1 (economical):

1. Access switches to which your Camera to be connected should have 10/100 and at least two uplinks. Number of ports required is total 300.
    • This can be 2960 with two uplinks and 48 port 10/100
  2. Backbone switches can
    • This can be two Gigabit 3750 to provide uplink. Limitation is that maximum SFP fiber link would be 8 (4+4) but can be configured in stack can will provide to computer system shown.

Option 2(recommended) :

• If you have good budget then have two 4506 series switch with 7 line cards - WS-X4148-RJ (10/100) or WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 (10/100/1000) ( total 3+4). These switches having dual power support and sup facility.

Option 3 :

• Stack one of four WS-C3750G-48TS-S
  • Stack two of four WS-C3750G-48TS-S

These two stacks will be interconnected with each other with eight etherchannel.

Total ports available 10/100 = 48 X 8 = 384

• Ports available for Video devices = 300
  • Ports for other systems and future = 84

Uplink total port SFP = 4X4X2=32 ports

• Ports to use for uplink = 16 (8 ports per stack)

Hi,

I have a similar scenario and budget is not a problem, I'm looking to go for option 2 involving two Cisco 4506 switches with 7 Line cards.

I have a few questions:

1. Will we connect the NVRs and other PCs to the same cisco switch?

2. What switch will you recommend to allow all the cameras to be displayed in the same building to concerning officers other than the control room?

3. Ref question no. 2, the extension switches will connect via SFP/Combo ports, should I go for one WS-X4612-SFP-E Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 12-port GE (SFP) line card? will I need only one? or will I need to have one for each switch?

4. I'm going for WS-C4506-E with PWR-C45-1400AC power supplies (two per switch for redundancy) and seven E Series Line Cards WS-X4748-RJ45-E,10/100/1000 48 Ports Line Cards. sounds OK?

5. How will these two switches connect? via uplink or etherchannel or stacking?

Please advise if I'm missing anything. I would really appreciate your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card