Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast, IGMP and 6509

ycae
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are facing a somewhat strange situation.

We have a server which is sending a multicast stream and which is connected to one of the ports of the 6509. on this 6509 we have also access switches connected. On all the switches we configured igmp snooping and on the 6509 we executed the command ip pim sparse-dense-mode.

Verifying the access switches, everything works as designed. The multicast flows only go to the ports which have requested to receive the flow.

However on the 6509 we are facing the situation that all the traffic coming from the multicast server is sent to all the ports. However this is something we do not like to have. So why is the 6509 sending the multicast stream to all the ports eventhough igmp snooping has been configured? Is there anything more we have to do on the 6509?

Thanks a lot for your support and if you need more information, just let me know.

Regards,

Yves

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Yves,

I've given a look at bug toolkit for C6509 and 12.2(18)SXD6 and there are 31 bugs listed for IGMP. Some are related to IGMP snooping

I would suggest to try to upgrade to a newer IOS image and to try with it

what IOS image to choice depends on how is populated the chassis, if there are only standard linecards you could use 12.2(33)SXH5 if you have service-modules like FWSM or CSM or ACE you would need 12.2(33)SXI2 or later.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Yves,

what is the multicast address used by the server?

with all ports you mean all the ports in the same vlan as the server or this happens on all vlans?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

An example multicast address that we use is 239.0.1.1

No only on the ports of the same vlan. But this shouldn't be the case. It should only send the multicast packets to the ports which required a grouping via a IGMP report.

Yves

Hello Yves,

I agree it should be able to optimize traffic on the vlan too

What IOS image is running on the C6509?

I ask this in order to search for possible bugs

what is the output of

sh ip igmp group Vlan vlan#

and

sh mac-address-table multicast igmp-snooping

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ycae
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Giuseppe,

we are running 12.2(18) SXD6.

Thanks for your help.

Yves

Hello Yves,

I've given a look at bug toolkit for C6509 and 12.2(18)SXD6 and there are 31 bugs listed for IGMP. Some are related to IGMP snooping

I would suggest to try to upgrade to a newer IOS image and to try with it

what IOS image to choice depends on how is populated the chassis, if there are only standard linecards you could use 12.2(33)SXH5 if you have service-modules like FWSM or CSM or ACE you would need 12.2(33)SXI2 or later.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I only have line cards in that chasis so I will go with the 12.2(33)SXH5 version.

Where can I find the document with the list of the bugs?

Thanks a lot,

Yves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: