Instructions to set up a wireless AP (WPA)

Unanswered Question
Apr 22nd, 2010
User Badges:

Dear All,

I have a Cisco Router 800 model [Cisco 876W (MPC8272) processor, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)]

In our local network we have some servers, workstations and Cisco ip-phones (using Asterisk). All of our machines are under the same network number scheme 192.168.2.0 /24 connected to the same switch (default config) that end up to the Router as our gateway to the outside world. All of our ports are under the same native VLAN 1 .

Our network is live and working fine couple of months now but this week I'm strungling to set up our wireless network. I have read many tutorilas and pages but unfortunately none of the instructions I found could make my WiFi work, I was not even able to broadcast an SSID

I have good experience and knowlege of Cisco (one more module to become CCNP) but unfortunately I have a big lack of knowledge when it comes to Wireless.

In this case to set up a wireless network my requirements are :

1) I want my mobile clients to be able to see my AP SSID and connect to it.

2) Authentication method for encryption must be done using WPA.

3) The Wireless clients will have access to the local LAN so I suppose the IP scheme must be the same

a) With all my research so far I think I must set up my WiFi router in bridge mode is that correct ?

b) Do I need to create separate VLANs and route between them or it can all work with the native VLAN ?

c) Do I also need to set up a separate DHCP pool for the Wireless LAN  ?

I knows I'm asking too much information but I have tried various configurations examples and couldn't see any progress.

Thanks for you time,

NG.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion