cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

System Install DVD Question

mmendonca
Level 1
Level 1

I have the System Installation DVD for CUCM 8.0(1).  I want to upgrade from CUCM 6.1(3) directly to CUCM 8.0(1).

First of all CUCM 8.0.1 isn't available via the Cisco download page.  CUCM 8.0(2) is but my servers (MCS-7835-H2-IPC1) aren't currently listed as supported for it.  I wanted to do the upgrade via tftp server using an iso file.  I have 4 servers in the cluster 2 of which are at a different location.

Okay so 8.0(1) isn't on the download page so I figured I'll just grab it off the DVD.  I don't see any image files on this DVD.  Maybe I have the wrong DVD?  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?  Are they hidden?

DVD is labled:

System Installation DVD, Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0(1), includes CUCM BE 8.0(1), CUCM SME 8.0(1) and Cisco Unity Connection 8.0(1).

I'm guessing the BE = Border Element and SME = Session Manager Edition?  If this is the correct DVD what are my options?  I would prefer to use the .iso file if I could get my hands on one.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yep, that is correct.

Regards

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You won't find an image file on the DVD.  The DVD is a self-executing, self-extracting disk that will reformat the existing server and install a fresh version of 8.0(1).  For you, you will need to do what is a bridge upgrade - its for customers who want to migrate but plan to use discontinued server models such as yours.  To use the DVD, you will have to boot from DVD - no other options there.

As for what's on the disk:

BE = Business Edition (you are thinking of CUBE, Cisco Unified Border Element)

SME = Session Management Edition

Before you proceed, I'd do some homework on what you're getting into:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/install.html#wp1227378

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/ps10662/data_sheet_c78-584298.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_installation_guides_list.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

CUCMBE = CallManager Business Edition. It's CUC and CCM on one box.

Given that making a non-bootable DVD is a case of adding a boot sector (https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3059486#3059486), you may well be able to rip the CD to an ISO (using one of the many ISO management applications or most DVD writing apps such as Nero) and then send that to your CM.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you both for your responses.

This link for supported servers by release says nothing about a bridged upgrade for MCS-7835-H2-IPC1 with CUCM 8.0.(1).  It specifically indicates X(2) in the box listed.  Bridged upgrades are indicated by B(5).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

I did find a end of sale announcement for MCS-7835 servers but MCS-7835-H2-IPC1 are listed as the replacement part number.  We just bought these servers end of 2008.

I would interpret it like so:

1) If it says a bridge upgrade is possible, then you can upgrade. However, once you upgrade, your server is dead, and can only be used to obtain a backup which you can then build the new version on new hardware, and restore. So you upgrade 'normally' (via install software, over TFTP or from the DVD on a running system), and then you build the new server from media and restore your backup.

2) If you server isn't listed, I would expect that when you run the upgrade, it will tell you quite soon that it has failed, and that your hardware is not supported. If this is the case, you need new servers... if you need new servers, then the best course of action will depend on your new and old hardware, and the 'supported' hardware for the current and target CCM software versions.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron,

I agree with your statements.  

I've taken the following from the Cisco document that I've previously provided the link for in this discussion:

Blank cells mean the server is not supported. An "X" means the server is supported. A "B" means the server is only supported for "bridged upgrade," as described in footnote 5. Any numbers following "X" or "B" refer to special rules outlined in footnotes after the table. Column titles indicate the version of Cisco CallManager, Cisco Unified CallManager, or Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
My server has an X(2) in the box under 8.0.(1) and isn't supported at all for 8.0(2) because that box is blank.  X(2) listed in the 8.0(1) box to me would mean that it is supported but with the following special rules also taken from the same document:
(2) Supported, but note that Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1 and later requires a minimum 2 GB of memory for Cisco MCS 7815, MCS 7816, MCS 7825, and MCS 7835. 6 GB of memory is required for the Cisco MCS 7828, while 4 GB is required for the Cisco MCS 7845, with hard drive capacity of 72 or 80 GB or higher. This will result in mandatory memory and hard drive upgrades if older supported servers are desired for use with the new software versions.

If there was a B(5) in the box then your statement #1 and the followinig special rule from the document apply:

(5) Supported only for "bridged upgrade" to migrate to newer hardware. In a bridged upgrade, you upgrade to the specified Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, make a backup of your software configuration via the Disaster Recovery System utility, reinstall the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on new hardware, and restore your software configuration from backup. This server is not supported for any other use with Cisco Unified Communications Manager other than this "bridged upgrade" procedure

Therefore your statement # 2 doesn't apply because my server is listed with X(2).   If I'm missing something here please correct me.

Thanks Again for your input,

Mark

Hi

Yep, that is correct.

Regards

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: