cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pushing SIP firmware to the 7945 IP Phone

sienz.sienz
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade one of the 7945 ip phone to have SIP firmware instead of SCCP.

Currently this phone has SCCP45.8-3-5S firmware. 

But when I looked at the “Device Defaults Configuration” in UCM, we have the option for SIP Protocol.  The firmware is called SIP45.8-3-5S, located under the SCCP firmware

How can I push this firmware to have SIP45.8-3-5S. It seems that the Sip firmware is already available inside UCM?

Should I change the Phone Load Name” in Phone Configuration to SIP45.8-3-5S?

We are going to use this Cisco Phone for another platform but we need to have SIP firmware in it.

Thanks,

-Sienz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't need to use SIP as the control protocol for the phones to be able to use a SIP trunk from a ITSP. You'll get more features out of CUCM with SCCP as the phone control protocol and on top off that a more stable setup.

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

To switch to SIP, you need to do two things:

1) Switch the configuration on CCM from SCCP to SIP (you may recall when you add phones you tell CCM they are SCCP).

2) Get the SIP firmware on the phone.

There is an automated process to do this via BAT; documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml#siptosccpccm5

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you for the reply.

I have the instruction below but have few questions.

Switch the configuration on CCM from SCCP to SIP -> Does it mean that i have to swith all of the phones to SIP? Can we only do it for 1 phone?

My phone is setup as auto register with SCCP firmware.

My goal is to have 7945 phone with SIP firmware.  We will use this phone in another platform.

Can this bulk administration procedure do only for 1 phone?   I am just worry that i will make a change on all phone instead of 1 phone,

Converting SCCP Phones to SIP and reverse in   Cisco Unified Communication Manager 5.x and 6.x

Complete these steps in order to convert the SCCP IP Phones to       SIP:

1. Go to Cisco CallManager Administration and choose Bulk             Administration > Phones > Migrate             Phones > SCCP to SIP.

2. Click Find after you select/enter the appropriate             search criteria to list the phones that need to be             migrated.

3. Click Next and choose the phone template from the             drop-down.

4. Enter the job description in the Job Information area.

5. Click Run Immediately in order to migrate phone             records immediately or click Run Later in order to migrate at             a later time.

6. Click Submit in order to create a job for             migrating the phone records.

Note: After you submit a job for migrating phones from SCCP to  SIP,                 make sure that you reset these phones. In order to reset the phones,  choose                 Bulk Administration > Phones >                 Reset/Restart Phones > Query.

7. When the Migrate job is submitted, choose Bulk             Administration > Job Scheduler in order to             schedule and/or activate this job.

If it remains in the Pending state, you might need to activate the             Bulk Provisioning Service under the             Serviceability > Tools >             Service Activation page. Refer to             Activating              Bulk Provisioning Service for more information.

8. Go to Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Enterprise Parameters and change Auto             Registration Phone Protocol to SIP (SCCP is the default).  Then             restart the Cisco CallManager service. Refer to             Autoregistration              with Multiple Protocol Support for more information.

Note: In order to revert back to SCCP, you need to delete the SIP                 phone, set Auto Registration Phone Protocol to SCCP and then                 let the phone re-register as SCCP.

Hi

The clue is in the steps you listed:

2. Click Find after you select/enter the appropriate search criteria to list the phones that need to be migrated.

The phones shown when you do the 'find' will be switched. You see one phone, one phone is switched to SIP.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Dears,

Hope you are doing well all,

So if I convert my IP phone 7945G from SCCP to SIP client is it will work, then after that should I'll be able to use the SIP server? and where should I change the settings on the phone it self or on the CUCM?

Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Thanks in advanced,

Ahmed,

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you want to change to SIP?

You will have less features and more bugs doing it.

I need to have 7945 phone for another phone system platform.  I will not use it for UCM.

I am just wondering since we have the SIP option at "Device Default" for 7945.

I only need one phone.  I dont plan to migrate other phones but just worry about the bulk administration procedure if it will effect other phones.

Can you satisfy my curiosity, after 1 year and an half you haven't converted the image yet ?

Hi Paolo,

Many thanks for your reply,

My concern is that after I convert the image of my phone it will still CM client,

The outgoing calls will be routed through the route pattern,

So what is the main benfet of this convertsion,

My case that I don't have a voice GW in my setup so I will ask the SIP provider to provide me with SIP trunk to route it though the CM,

Because he provide me with DID numbers with user name and password,

Thanks in advanced,

Ahmed

You don't need to use SIP as the control protocol for the phones to be able to use a SIP trunk from a ITSP. You'll get more features out of CUCM with SCCP as the phone control protocol and on top off that a more stable setup.

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: