cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help setup server access on DDR2200 router

yamaharuss
Level 1
Level 1

I have been all through the Advanced/IP Networking/NAT/Virtual Servers section of the router setup and cannot access the server on the network from the outside.

I have an static IP Address 123.45.67.89

I can access my router config on a local machine from 192.168.1.254

One of my computers on the network is running IIS web server on IP 192.168.1.65

So, when someone browses IP 123.45.67.89, it SHOULD take them to my localhost website but I can't seem to configure this properly and my local phone company who installed it can't help and Cisco won't help.

Anyone?

11 Replies 11

Hi,

So, on the DDR2200 router you have a STATIC NAT rule to translate the internal IP 192.168.1.65 to the external IP 123.45.67.89 correct?

If this is so, you should be able to PING 123.45.67.89 from the outside correct?

Can you do a telnet 123.45.67.89 80 (telnet on port 80) and check if you're reaching the server?

The internal server 192.168.1.65 has its default gateway pointing to the DDR2200 router?

Federico.

Interesting, I am unable to ping or telnet and a tracert drops just before hitting it.

I have checked the firewall setup in the router and from what I can tell, nothing seems to be turned on.

Well, in order to reach the server behind the router, the server should have Internet access.

Can you get to the Internet from the server itself 192.168.1.65?

If not, check the default gateway, and do a traceroute to see where you get at.

If you can get to the Internet from the Server, it means the translation is taking place.

But I suspect you have no connectivity, can you confirm?

Federico.

Oh I definitely have internet connectivity from the server and all wireless laptops. If I browse the static  IP from within the network it takes me to the router login.

If the internal server 192.168.1.65 can get out to the internet through the router, then it should be accesible as well from the Internet via its pubilc IP.

You have the STATIC NAT rule for the server on the DDR2200.

If you do a traceroute from an external machine to the public IP of the server, where does it die?

It reaches the DDR2200? It gets to the server itself? It does not even reach the router?

Federico.

I will use these examples (last 3 digits match my real ones) but will format them so that you can see what is happening

My WAN IP 11.222.333.130

SUBNET 255.255.255.128

Default Gateway 11.222.333.129

DNS SERVERS

When I run a tracert on the last IP reached on the 10th hop is 55.666.777.234 then I get about 20 timeouts after that one.

When I ping the IP I get Packets sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4

Correct me If I'm missing something...

When you do a traceroute to the server to see where the packets end, the packets timeout before even reaching the DDR2200?
In other words, a packet sent to the Public IP of the server (from the outside world), not even reach the router?
If this is the case, could be a problem with the public IP, can you try configuring the Static NAT for the server using a different IP?

If this is not the case please clarify.

Federico.

I would have to get the phone company to do that. They assigned me one static IP.

You can try using the same public IP of the WAN side of the DDR2200 as long as you do it based on ports.

For instance:

If you like to check if port 80 is reaching the server, you can do a static NAT with port redirection.

This means that instead of having a 1-to-1 static NAT, you use the public IP of the router to redirect port 80 to the internal server.

What's going to happen is that when HTTP traffic reaches the IP of the router, the router will redirect port 80 to the internal server. (is a way to share the same public IP between devices based on ports).

Keep in mind that if you redirect port 80 to the internal server, you cannot longer access the router from the outside on port 80.

Federico.

How do I configure the router to do that?

And after I do that, is there a way to access the router again or would I need to reset it to make any changes?

Thanks for your help.

After digging in the router setup I discovered something.. The default gateway is a .129 address and not the same as my assigned static IP.

The difference is that I CAN ping that IP from a remote location. I suppose that is some progress but even after I setup the NAT config I still cannot browse to the IP.

My NAT setup:

Server NameExternal Port StartExternal Port EndProtocolInternal Port StartInternal Port EndServer IP AddressRemote Host
IIS             80                  80                 TCP      80                    80                 192.168.1.67   11.222.333.129 
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: