Views
Helpful
Replies

RTT time in ping

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi  every body.

I  was reading about ping  tool.  When we ping an ip address, we also get RTT( round trip time).

Let say we have two hosts, A and B.  Let say we ping B from A  and get the  ping response with RTT 10 msec. Does this 10m sec also include processing  time taken by Host B to processes ping packet or it simply the time taken by ping packet  from A to B and back to A  i.e the processing time by B  is not factored in in RTT calculation.

What about host A?  when we issue ping from A, some processing time is  spent in generating the ping (echo request) and processing the ping echo  response. Does host A factor in this time in RTT calculation?

Thanks  and have a nice weekend.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I have not looked up this in detailed, but from what I know the RTT (round-time-trip) is the time it takes from the source to receive a response of the packet.

So, if source A sends a PING to host B, then the RTT is the time it tooked the packet to leave host A and reach host B, and get back to host A.

So, I would say that yes it involves the time for both ends to process the packet (and realize it's an ICMP packet)

Federico.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

I have not looked up this in detailed, but from what I know the RTT (round-time-trip) is the time it takes from the source to receive a response of the packet.

So, if source A sends a PING to host B, then the RTT is the time it tooked the packet to leave host A and reach host B, and get back to host A.

So, I would say that yes it involves the time for both ends to process the packet (and realize it's an ICMP packet)

Federico.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: