one extension with multiple calling ways !!!

Unanswered Question
Apr 24th, 2010

Hi all,

In cucm 7, How we can play around with one extension for multiple way calls ???

Lets suppose my Boss Ext is 800 & his Secretary's Ext is 801 .... If any body call Boss (ext 800) from PSTN the call should forward to secratory ( ext 801) but if secratory wants to call the Boss, he / she should able to call Boss @ 800 Ext ....i dont want to configure call forward all @ Boss phone for forward his all calls to secratory !!!! also i dont want to give other extension to Boss for secratory .....

I configured Translation Pattern to forward all calls of Boss to secratory, but with this if secratory wants to call to Boss @ 800 it will be loop & call will come back to secratory  .....

can any one knows how to achieve this ????

Urgent reply will be highly appreciated !!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.6 (8 ratings)
David Hailey Sun, 04/25/2010 - 06:45

This is going to be problematic by just trying to use extensions and forwarding, translations, or other CUCM components.  The fundamental issue that you're not hooking into here is the concept of how partitions and calling search spaces work.  There's not really a good way to do this without having an extra extension on the Manager's line that is either unique or in another partition that is added to the CSS applied to the secretary's phone.

So, I would agree that you might want to read up on IPMA and see if you can make it fit your needs.

Please rate helpful posts!

rob.huffman Sun, 04/25/2010 - 08:12

Hi Anis,

There is a feature, which is called "CFA Destination Override" which could be leveraged to accomodate your requirements. Have a look;

Cisco Unified CallManager provides a service parameter (CFA Destination Override) that allows the administrator to override Call Forward All (CFA) when the target of the CFA calls the initiator of the CFA, so the CFA target can reach the initiator for important calls. In other words, when the user to whom calls are being forwarded (the target) calls the user whose calls are being forwarded (the initiator), the phone of the initiator rings instead of call forwarding back to the target. The override works whether the CFA target phone number is internal or external.

When the CFA Destination Override service parameter is set to False (the default value), no override occurs. Ensure the service parameter is set to True for CFA override to work. See Service Parameters Configuration in the Cisco Unified CallManager Administration Guide, Release 5.0(4), for information about configuring service parameters.

Note CFA override only takes place if the CFA destination matches the calling party and the CFA Destination Override service parameter is set to True. If the service parameter is set to True and the calling party does not match the CFA destination, CFA override does not take place, and the CFA remains in effect.

This only works from the phone that the Call Forward All is direted to

Hope this helps!

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

David Hailey Sun, 04/25/2010 - 10:34

Plus 5 to Rob for pulling one out that, in my experience, doesn't really get changed a lot.  But, in your case - it may be what you want.  Here's the definition and Cisco's perceived "usage scenario" of that parameter from a 7x system:

This parameter determines whether Cisco CallManager ignores call forward  all (CFA) destinations when the CFA destination is the same as the  calling party number. For example, John (on Phone A) has CFA set to Jane  (on Phone B). With this parameter enabled, Jane has the ability to  transfer a call to John's phone without having that same call sent back  to Jane due to John's CFA setting. This capability proves useful when  Jane receives a call forwarded from John's phone, but which must go back  to John's phone so that the caller can leave a voice message for John.  If this parameter is set to False, Jane cannot send any calls to John's  phone and the caller will not be able to leave a voice message for John.  Note: This override capability only works when the calling party number  matches precisely with the number specified in the call forward all  destination. In cases where the calling party number has been  transformed, the calling party number may not match the CFA destination  and override will not be allowed. Valid values specify True (CFA  overrides are permitted) or False (CFA overrides are not permitted).

So, let's look at some items here to make sure you know what this utlimately does:

No caller (internal or PSTN) can call the Manager directly while the CFA is setup.  Every call will CFA to the secretary and she'll then have to transfer callers back to the manager for him to take the call or for the caller to drop a voicemail.  If that's the intent of your configuration, this will work for you.

However, if the intent is to allow internal callers the ability to call the manager directly but have PSTN calls be picked up by the secretary then a shared line approach may work best.  In that scenario, the line would be configured on the manager and secretary phones.  The secretary can front all calls if necessary or simply let the manager decide what action to take with internal calls and then pick up all PSTN calls for the manager.  You could use the Barge feature in conjunction to allow one or both of the two parties to join into a call (ex: Secretary takes a call, Manager sees the CLID is his home, he barges his line and says "Hey, Secretary - I got this one" and the secretary hangs up.

Really it depends on the end user experience.  Just remember, the CCM Service Parameter that Rob suggested is applied Clusterwide so CFA Override is enabled for every phone in the cluster.  Granted, there may not be a lot of CFA to another internal parry configurations - but it's still a consideration.

anis_cisco Sun, 04/25/2010 - 13:37

First of all, Thanx all of you for your reply & time , special thanks to Rob for bring out a new option for me !!! + 5 for Rob ...

Rob as per your solution, what i understand is if i set the parameter TRUE in service paramter & i configure CFA to secretary at managers fone, then only secretary can call back to Boss not any other user would be able to call Boss ??????  right ?????

Actually my real scenario  is not only secratory should call to Boss, all the internal users should be able to call Boss, only external calls should be received by Secratory ......

wat if i set the CFA Service Parameter TRUE & i configure  Translation Pattern to forward calls of Boss to secetary ext ???? will  it work ???

for my scenario the solution which is proposed by David is perfect .....

Thanks David & many many thanks to Rob for pulling out one ....

David Hailey Sun, 04/25/2010 - 16:15

If your requirement is that internal callers should still be able to call the Boss then going with translation patterns or anything of that nature is no different than the CFA approach.  So, to make a long story short - you're in the boat that I thought you were when I read your initial post.  You should either do a straight shared line approach with/without Barge (as-needed) and/or look into the IPMA application as well.  The quickest route is to go with is the shared line with some training for the Boss and the Admin on how to handle calls.

Thats my opinion.

James Hawkins Mon, 04/26/2010 - 04:54

In many cases people find IPMA over the top so what I typically do for Manager/Secretary setups is:

1. Set up an Intercom line between the Manager and Secretary - this needs one button on each phone.
  2. Set the Manager CFNA and CFB destinations to voicemail.
  3. Use a Unity Connection Personal Call Transfer rule to send calls forwarded from the boss to the secretary's phone during working hours. If the secretary does not answer then Unity takes a message. Outside working hours the calls will go directly to VM.
  4. Add a Do Not Disturb key to the Boss's phone to allow him to turn off the ringer (or all notifications)
  5. Add a Pickup BLF to the secretaries phone to allow them to monitor and pickup calls to the Boss.

This obviously needs more than two programmable keys per phone so a 796x/797x is required.

bhough Wed, 11/03/2010 - 13:56

Never installed intercom lines, is this so the secretary can announce the call she has "picked" from his blf-sd key at her phone?

I don't want to use the impa either.

We are using the IPC as the secretary's phone, now with the "blf-sd" key for the boss.  when we had his dn on the phone she could not transfer back to his dn, so moved to the blf-sd workaround.

now for the kicker, his phone is the cupc client.

This Discussion